I have a clean eating food list of food you can eat on a clean eating diet. My list is easy and quick to read and will be very helpful to you in planning your meals. I’ve been eating clean for several years now. I ate fairly clean before I even knew clean eating existed. When I decided to eat totally clean I had to make some changes to my lifestyle. I had to spend more time in the kitchen cooking instead of just opening packages and cans. Plus that meant I had to spend more time cleaning up because I dirtied more dishes and pans etc. Overall changing to clean eating wasn’t that difficult. The advantages were overwhelming though. I realized that everything I cooked tasted better and I felt a lot healthier.
I have always wondered who invented the word clean eating and I still don’t know the answer to that. If you do, let me know. At first I wondered if that meant the food I had been eating was actually “DIRTY”. No, it doesn’t. I think a more accurate word and I’ve seen it being used a lot more recently is “Real Food”. To me real food means it isn’t fake. I say that because when I used to go out to eat at our local restaurant that offers an all you can eat buffet. By the way it shall remain nameless besides there are more than one kind of those. I would say to my husband this food tastes fake. Then I thought about it and tried to figure out why I thought it tasted fake.
I decided that fake could mean several things but to me it means cheap ingredients that are less expensive and actually don’t taste good. An example is high fructose corn syrup. It is cheap, doesn’t taste good and isn’t good for you. That’s why I like the word REAL FOOD. That would include food like grass fed beef, organic food, fresh from the farm food etc. Food the way it comes, the way God intended it to be.
When I was learning about clean eating I had a really hard time finding bloggers or websites that just come right out and tell us what foods and truly clean. After I figured that all out, I decided that other clean eaters or clean eater wanna be’s were having trouble finding out too.
I also found out that different people don’t have the same opinion on what clean eating truly is. That leaves some room for opinions depending on your living circumstances and desires.
That’s when I decided to make a clean eating food list for myself and now I’m sharing it with you.
I want to start out saying that clean eating food have no chemicals, additives or preservatives. Clean food are not processed at all. Read the labels and if there are ingredients on there that you can’t pronounce or spell and you’ve never heard of, rest assured that they are chemicals, additives or preservatives.
This list is about what you can eat not about what you can’t eat.
CLEAN EATING FOODS YOU CAN EAT WITHOUT QUESTION:
Fruits and Vegetables – Fresh is Best is my motto but frozen and canned are okay with there is nothing added like sugar.
Meats, Fish, Poultry, Pork Fish & Seafood – Grass-fed is best but that isn’t always practical or affordable. Meat from the butcher is good too. Organic or natural bacon and sausage are okay. Make sure they are nitrite and nitrate free. Same with Deli Meats
Grains – Eat grains that have not been processed. Grind your own flour if possible. Sometimes you can make flour in a blender. Oat flour is especially easy to make in a blender.
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Whole Wheat White Flour
- Spelt Flour
- Einkorn Flour
- Quinoa Flour or Whole
- Buckwheat Flour
- Brown Rice
- Oats – Steel cut is best but Old Fashioned is OK – NO Quick Oats
- Pasta – 100% Whole Grain
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Black Beans
- Garbanzo Beans – Garbanzo beans and Chickpeas are the same thing
- Kidney Beans
- Black Beans
- Pinto Bean
- Navy Beans
- Split Peas
- Adzuki Beans
Healthy Fats –
- Olive Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Butter – NO Margarine
- Safflower Oil – High-Oleic
- Grape Seed Oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Raw Honey
- Maple Syrup
- Maple sugar flakes
- Brown Rice Syrup
- Coconut Sugar
- Date sugar
- Stevia Liquid
- Organic evaporated cane juice
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Molasses – Debatable – Some say it’s clean others don’t
- NO Brown Sugar – Brown is only white sugar with molasses added
- Cacao Powder – Cacao powder is better than cocoa powder but cocoa powder is acceptable – read the labels
- Cacao nibs
Nuts – With nothing added like salt
- Sunflower Seeds
- Seed and Nut Butters – Natural or Organic and unsalted would include Almond Butter and Peanut Butter
Dairy – Avoid low-fat any kind of dairy
- Raw Milk or Organic full fat Milk – The only truly clean milk is raw milk. It isn’t always practical because in some states it is illegal plus it’s hard to find so organic full fat milk is the next best choice
- Block Cheese – Stay away from low or non-fat cheese, they have added ingredients to make them taste good.
- Pre- Packaged Grated Cheese Is Not Clean – It has stuff added to it to make it not stick together. Read the labels – it may be possible to find some.
- Cottage Cheese – Technically cottage cheese is not clean but most clean eaters I know eat it.
- Sour Cream
- Ricotta Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Goat Cheese
- Non-Dairy Cheeses – Technically they are clean but they are an acquired taste – people I know can’t stand to eat them.
- Fake Cheese Products – Avoid them like the Plague – This includes products like cheesy dips, spray bottles, spreads.
- Greek Yogurt –But not most regular yogurt – Read the label you might be able to find clean yogurt in a specialty store
- NON DAIRY Milk –
- Coconut milk – Buy it in the cans only. The refrigerated kinds have added stuff.
- Unsweetened Rice Milk
- Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Unsweetened Cashew Milk
- Hemp Milk
- Potato Starch
- Tapioca Starch
- Arrowroot Starch
Condiments – Make your own salad dressings, they have added sugar and preservatives – Read the labels you might find some that are OK
- Dijon mustard
- Vinegars – Balsamic, Red Wine Vinegar, Apple Cider
- Reduced sodium Soy Sauce
- Hot Sauce
- Natural liquid smoke
- A1 Sauce is NOT Clean
- Mustard is only clean if there is no added sugar, Read the labels
- Worcestershire is NOT Clean unless you can find “The Wizards” brand
- Ketchup is NOT generally clean – Make your own – Read the labels you might be able to find some clean ketchup
Miscellaneous Ingredients – Read the Labels
- Tomato Paste
- Some Tomato Sauce – Read the labels – some tomato sauce has added sugar and other ingredients, but some don’t
- Agar or unflavored gelatin
- Low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Unsweetened 100% fruit sauce
- Unsweetened dried berries
- Protein Powder- A lot are not clean but some are – Look for Paleo protein powder and read the labels – This one is clean
- Pea Protein Powder
- Hemp Protein Powder
- Whey Powder – is NOT clean