This easy lemon herb chicken recipe comes together in only half an hour and has a simple, light sauce that even picky eaters love. It’s perfect for a last-minute weeknight dinner.
Do you ever look in your fridge at dinner time, and wonder what you are going to make with the thawed chicken sitting in there that needs to be cooked ASAP? Did you have plans to make a more time-intensive dinner that night, but your motivation for the day is long gone….ummm, I have done both.
I am all about planning a menu each week, but let’s be honest…I can get pretty ambitious when my plans are on paper but when it actually comes down to doing the work, I can’t figure out why I thought it was a good idea. That’s why I love this recipe. It’s a super-simple dinner option that comes together fast and easy – much more my style!
It’s also something you can feel good about serving to your family. There is just enough butter to give it a buttery flavor but not so much that you feel heavy and full after eating it. The lemon and herbs give the sauce a light and fresh taste that is delightful for adults and mild enough for kids!
The recipe also calls for dried thyme (because it is more convenient), but if you have fresh thyme on hand, I highly recommend using it. It adds a little extra punch of flavor.
Please comment below and let me know if you make this and what you think of it!
You may also like these recipes:Print
Easy Lemon Herb Chicken Recipe
This easy chicken recipe comes together in only half an hour and has a simple, light sauce that even picky eaters love. It’s perfect for a last-minute weeknight dinner.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp lemon juice (approx. 1–2 fresh lemons)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil plus more to garnish
- Pound the chicken until it is fairly flat and there are not any thicker portions.
- Salt and pepper the chicken.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Place chicken and 1/4 cup lemon juice in skillet and cook on each side for about 5 minutes. Check to make sure it is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from skillet and add the butter and onions.
- Saute the onions until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, thyme and basil.
- Add the chicken back in then allow it to simmer until the chicken broth is reduced by half (approx. 10 minutes).
- Spoon the lemon herb sauce over the top.
- Serve. Garnish with fresh basil.
Keywords: Easy, Light, Saucy