These Paleo Carmelitas are almost too good to be true. Every once in a while, I find myself craving something sweet and indulgent. I want something that tastes just like it came out of a bakery. My go-to in those cases?
If you’ve never heard of Carmelitas before, they are a traditional part cookie, part cake dessert that’s jam-packed with caramel. They are crumbly and messy – and sometimes they are made with some chocolate as well. Basically, they are a really, really good dessert.
The Paleo Carmelitas that I like to bake are just as delicious but are Paleo Bars, gluten-free and really healthy, as far as desserts go. They are also packed with all the things that are good in life, like almond butter, and some caramel – and even some chopped nuts.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is not only how good it is, but also how easy it is to whip together. I love recipes that use simple ingredients – and this is one of those. The process is more or less mixing things together and then baking. So there are no complicated steps or a million instructions.
For the caramel, I went with a homemade version of Paleo caramel that’s just to die for! It’s made with 3 parts of coconut milk , 1 part coconut sugar and a bit of vanilla. Then just combine everything in a saucepan and bring to a boil, frequently stirring for around 40 minutes or until the caramel is thick.
The caramel binds everything together and it’s so so good – you’ll want to have it on top of everything (Wait! Is that just me?). But seriously, this caramel is way beyond good and can be kept in a refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, which is pretty awesome as well.
But back to the Paleo Carmelitas – serve them warm for an indulgent treat.
You may also like these recipes:Print
Salted Paleo Carmelitas Recipe
I’m in love with these! The caramel sauce is so good and really compliments the nuts.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 70 minutes
- Total Time: 80 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Paleo
- 2 Cups Almond Flour
- 1 ½ Cups Almond Butter (melted)
- 1 Tbl Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Raw Honey
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Real Salt
- 1 Cup Walnuts (or other nuts of choice)
Paleo Caramel Sauce
For the Paleo Caramel Sauce:
- Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until boiling.
- Reduce heat to a simmer for approximately 30-45 minutes until it reduces by about half (basically you are making your own sweetened condensed milk). It should be a light brown color and not separated.
For the Carmelitas:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, almond butter, vanilla extract, honey, baking soda, salt, and half the chopped nuts, until well blended.
- Pour the batter into a greased, square 8×8 pan and press evenly.
- Cover the batter with half of the caramel sauce and place into the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until done.
- Cover with remaining caramel sauce and chopped nuts.
- Cut into bars, serve, and enjoy.
Keywords: almond flour, almond butter, walnuts, coconut milk, Paleo bars