These Paleo chocolate coconut bars have an almond flour crust and are filled with chocolate chips, pecans, and shredded coconut. Then they are held together with homemade Paleo sweetened condensed milk. There are only eight ingredients in all and they are a healthy dessert you can enjoy eating.
I have come to the conclusion that life doesn’t slow down…yes, my epiphany has come much later in life than it comes for most, but I am finally understanding what my dad means when he says there are just not enough hours in a day…and let’s be honest with each other, I waste a lot of those precious hours browsing online, watching tv, etc. I am trying to make a conscious effort to be more productive during the day, and spend more time doing the important things – like playing with my little girl.
How is it going you ask? Well…my six-year-old got mad at me yesterday while we were playing princesses, she said I needed to focus on playing and not sleeping (in my defense, she did climb into bed with me early in the morning and hand me a princess doll :). It’s definitely a work in progress.
My epiphany also made me realize that life is too short not to enjoy a lot of chocolate. Alright, that is not a new epiphany for me, but it goes along with my theme…and these bars are loaded with delicious chocolate, so we’ll go with it.
These bars consist of dark chocolate, pecans, and coconut piled on top of a buttery cookie crust (except no butter is used – crazy :). They remind me of what it would taste like if an Almond Joy married a Twix (except without the almonds). That analogy didn’t make much sense, but it doesn’t matter. The only thing that matters is that these are insanely decadent and delicious and made without refined sugar and they have all wholesome ingredients. They are also Paleo and Vegan-friendly.
Can I Substitute Either of the Flours?
Sorry but almond flour is very unique and I don’t recommend subbing it. You could probably substitute arrowroot starch with something like cornstarch (not Paleo) or maybe tapioca flour but I haven’t tried either of those and don’t know how well they would turn out.
I would love to know if you make these and how they turned out for you. Please comment below and let me know!
Paleo Chocolate Coconut Bars Recipe
These bars have an almond flour crust and are filled with chocolate chips, pecans, and shredded coconut. Then they are held together with homemade Paleo sweetened condensed milk. There are only eight ingredients in all and they are a healthy dessert you can enjoy eating.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Amerian
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Combine the almond flour, arrowroot powder, 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, and coconut oil in a large bowl.
- Press the dough into the bottom of a well greased 8×8 baking pan.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until edges start to lightly brown.
- Allow to cool on a hot pad on the counter.
- Pour the coconut milk and remaining 1/4 cup pure maple syrup into a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for approximately 30-45 minutes until it reduces by about half (basically you are making your own sweetened condensed milk). I should be light brown, thick and not separated.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips and pecans over the baked and cooled crust.
- Pour the coconut milk/homemade sweetened condensed milk mixture on top.
- Top with the shredded coconut.
- Bake another 15-20 minutes or until coconut starts to brown.
You can prepare your coconut milk a day or 2 in advance and store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
Keywords: Easy, Healthy, Paleo