This Paleo flourless chocolate cake recipe is moist from lots of chocolate and no traditional flour or refined sugar. It’s topped with a rich, coconut cream chocolate frosting and is a healthy dessert with almond flour you can feel good about eating.
Chocolate cake – do I really need to say anything else, besides how large would you like your slice to be? It is one of the classic desserts that never gets old, and almost everyone loves. It is good any time of the year, and for any holiday or get together.
One of my all-time favorite desserts is chocolate cake (with chocolate frosting) and a big scoop of peppermint ice cream. It’s seriously so yummy and reminds me of Christmas, and now I all I can think of is how I want a big bowl of it – – like NOW :).
Although my love for chocolate cake goes deep, I do have a few stipulations… 1) it cannot be dry – dry chocolate cake isn’t even worth eating, 2) it has to have frosting (brownies can get away without frosting), but chocolate cake must have frosting, and 3) I prefer it have some nutritional value (I know eye roll, and this isn’t an absolute must all the time, but I am a firm believer that healthier desserts can taste just as good as traditional desserts).
Fortunately for all of us, this meets all of those requirements. It is super moist and delicious, it is topped with rich chocolate frosting (made from coconut cream), and it is made without refined sugar, contains high-protein almond flour, and is gluten and grain-free. I promise you will not miss the traditional flour or sugar – and is definitely good enough to take to a get-together.
- Do not substitute the almond flour with anything other than possibly almond meal (see below)
- Almond flour and almond meal are almost the same thing. Almond flour is just a little finer and doesn’t have the skins. I haven’t tried using it but it would probably work in this recipe but may make it a bit grainier.
I would love to know if you make this and what you think. Please comment below and let me know about this Paleo almond flour chocolate cake!
You may also like these recipes:Print
Paleo Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe with Almond Flour
This Paleo chocolate cake recipe is moist from lots of chocolate and no traditional flour or refined sugar. It’s topped with a rich, coconut cream chocolate frosting and is a healthy dessert with almond flour you can feel good about eating.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
For the Cake
- 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate (not cocoa powder )
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Real Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch (if not Paleo)
- 1/2 cup Paleo-ish chocolate chips (optional)
For the Frosting
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Melt together butter and baking chocolate (I used a double broiler), once melted set aside and allow to cool for 15 minutes
- In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, coconut sugar, pure maple syrup, and vanilla
- In a separate bowl sift together salt, baking powder, almond flour, and arrowroot powder
- Once the melted chocolate and butter have cooled, pour slowly into egg mixture (you want to make sure the chocolate has cooled, so it doesn’t scramble the eggs when you pour it into the egg mixture) and mix well
- Add the dry ingredients to the combined chocolate mixture and mix well. If you use the chocolate chips stir them in.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8×8 pan
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool and then frost
For the Frosting
- Combine all ingredients and mix well then spread on top of the cake
Keywords: Paleo, Healthy