I think you’re really going to like today’s recipe – luscious fluffy mini Paleo cakes dipped in handmade cherry jam and covered in desiccated coconut. Aren’t they so pretty and fancy looking? But guess what? They aren’t very hard to make.
They only have 8 ingredients and are really fun to make, at least I think so! Here are some tips and tricks to this recipe:
- Rather than taking the time to boil the sweet potatoes just for this recipe, just plan ahead a little and make extra sweet potatoes with your dinner. It cuts the prep time of this recipe significantly down.
- I haven’t tried sweet potato from a can on this recipe, but I would think it should work well. It just won’t taste the same cause of the canned flavor. If anyone tries it with canned sweet potatoes, please comment below so we all know if it works.
- I always make sure and use almond flour, not almond meal in this recipe. The difference? Almond flour is finer and doesn’t have the skins.
- I always make sure and use real maple syrup. Actually, I’ve never boughten the fake stuff. All that is is sugar water with maple flavoring. Real maple syrup not only tastes so much better, but it’s also so much healthier for you. To illustrate how bad fake maple syrup is for your blood sugar, my son has Type 1 Diabetes and in his training at the hospital, they told him he could eat anything except soda and fake maple syrup because with both the sugar gets in your system way faster than insulin can. Personally, I think Type I Diabetes should restrict more foods than just that, but it goes to show how bad fake maple syrup is for you. OK. I’ll get off my soapbox . . .
I would love to know if you try these mini Paleo cakes. Please comment below and let me know what you think of them!
If you like these mini Paleo cakes, you may also like these recipes:Print
Cherry & Coconut Mini Paleo Cakes
These luscious fluffy mini Paleo cakes are dipped in handmade cherry jam and covered in desiccated coconut.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 9 mini cakes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 6 cups cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup of honey
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup / (100 grams) desiccated coconut
- 9 cherries to top the cakes
Place the sweet potatoes in a small saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cook until sweet potatoes are tender.
Using a masher, mash the sweet potatoes and let it cool.
Mix well using your hands. Add the egg and continue mixing all the ingredients together until you get a consistent dough. If the mixture is too wet, add 1 to 3 Tablespoons of almond flour.
Using a Tablespoon, scoop to form the dough into golf-size balls, then, press down gently in the center of the cake with your knuckle to make the hole for the cherry.
Bake for about 10 minutes, then broil for about 3 minutes until golden. Let them cool.
While cakes are baking /cooling, make the cherry jam. Place the cherries in a large saucepan. Use the back of a wooden spoon to crush cherries to release their juices. Add the lemon juice and place over low heat.
Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the cherries are tender. Add the honey and cook, stirring, for 10-15 minutes or until honey dissolves. Then, turn heat to high and bring to a rolling boil. Cook for 4 minutes more and remove from heat. Set aside for 5 minutes.
Dip the mini cakes into the cherry jam, then roll in the desiccated coconut. Top with a cherry on each cake and enjoy!
For best results, the ingredients with both grams and cups are best weighed with a kitchen scale using grams.
Keywords: Paleo, mini, cake, sweet potato, dessert