I developed this Paleo coleslaw recipe made with Paleo mayonnaise, and I LOVE it. No offense, Grandma. I don’t know about you but I absolutely love the flavor of coleslaw salad, especially with barbeque sandwiches. There is something about the flavor of coleslaw and BBQ together that I just love. I am super excited to do this recipe for you guys. This recipe uses carrots, and both red and green cabbage. Here is a link to the Paleo Mayo recipe that you can use to make this recipe that much better.
One of the things I like best about Paleo coleslaw is that it’s crunchy, light and cold. It’s so good with something hot, like BBQ chicken or pulled pork. It has such a good contrast, especially from the tang of the vinegar.
Some tips and suggestions for this recipe:
- Soggy coleslaw is nasty, but it’s good if it sits for a little bit. It’s best if you make it about an hour before you eat it. If you make it too early, it gets soggy and runny and all the liquid goes to the bottom of the bowl. Gross!
- You don’t have to use homemade mayo. A good store-bought mayonnaise works just fine too. I link to some below.
- I really do prefer the dry mustard to “regular” mustard, but if you don’t have it, just put a little less mayo. in so it won’t get too runny.
- You can do only green cabbage and leave out the red cabbage and carrot if you want. They are there for color, extra crunch and for a variety of vegetables, but aren’t totally necessary.
- If you’re feeling adventurous, some fun additions are poppy seeds, apples, sweet peppers, craisins or even bacon. If you try any of these, please comment and let us all know if you liked that addition or not.
- You can sub apple cider vinegar with another acidic food, such as white wine vinegar, lemon or even lime if you really like limes. If you do limes, you should try some cilantro with it and tell me if you like that.
I would love to know if you try my Paleo coleslaw. Please comment below and tell me if you made any changes to the recipe and what occasion you made it for.*Please note that most of the links on this page are affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase, you will receive the same price, but I will receive a little money for referring you to the product. This helps keep this blog free for you. I truly appreciate you supporting my blog.
If you like this Paleo Coleslaw, you may also like these recipes:
Paleo Coleslaw Recipe
This is a recipe for Paleo coleslaw and it uses carrots, red and green cabbage. We used our homemade Paleo mayo recipe.