Gluten-Free Meringue Cake Recipe
This gluten-free recipe is an eggy cake with layers of meringue and cool whip. This is my favorite dessert recipe of all time, hands down.
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Total Time: 60 Minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 Cup Butter (softened)
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar (divided)
- 6 Large Eggs (separated)
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 1/3 Cups Gluten-Free Flour Blend *
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Real Salt *
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts, Pecans or Almonds
- 1 Cup Whipping Cream
- 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8” springform pans.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and 1 cup of the sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and egg yolks and mix together well, scraping the sides of the bowl once.
- Mix in the milk.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Divide the batter between prepared cake pans and spread evenly across bottoms.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy. Slowly pour in the remaining cup of sugar as you beat the egg whites, beating them until stiff peaks form.
- Divide the beaten egg whites between cake pans, spreading across cake batter evenly (but not smoothing). Sprinkle both cakes evenly with sliced almonds and bake for 35-40 minutes in preheated oven.
- Remove cakes from oven and cool on wire rack.
- When cakes are cool, run a butter knife along the sides of each cake pan, loosening the meringue and cake from the sides. Remove the sides of the springforms. Place one cake on a serving dish.
- Make whipped cream by placing a metal bowl and metal whisk in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. Place the sugar in the mixing bowl then the whipping cream and mix on high for a minute or two until stiff peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream evenly over the top of the cake. Top the cream with the other cake layer.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
Keywords: gluten-free, Italian, rich