I love this gluten-free quinoa pumpkin cookies recipe with chocolate chips and brown sugar icing. Sometimes I leave off the icing to make them faster and less messy or other times I leave the brown sugar icing on because it complements the nutty taste of the quinoa flour.
- 1 Cup Butter (softened)
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar (lightly packed)
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 Cups Quinoa Flour
- 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbl Gluten-Free Oat Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Real Salt
- 1 Tbl Tapioca Flour or Arrowroot Starch
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
Optional Brown Sugar Icing
- 3 Tbl Butter
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbl Milk
- 3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the softened butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl and beat together for several minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the pumpkin puree, vanilla, and egg.
- In another bowl, whisk together the quinoa flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, tapioca starch, and cinnamon.
- Add to the butter/pumpkin mixture, mixing until just combined. Add the chocolate chips, mixing just to distribute.
- Scoop rounded spoonfuls ( I use a 2 tablespoon scoop) 1 1/2" apart on the prepared baking sheets. Scoop out about 2 tablespoons batter per cookie for small cookies and 4 tablespoons batter for large cookies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Cookies should be set on top but still very soft. You will need to bake them longer if you make large cookies. Let cool on the baking sheet. Remove to a wire rack.
- Top with Brown Sugar Icing
- Store cookies in an airtight container.
Brown Sugar Icing Instructions:
- Melt the butter over medium/high heat in a medium sized saute pan.
- When butter starts to foam and brown slightly, giving off a nutty aroma, remove from heat.
- Mix in the brown sugar.
- Place the mixture in a bowl and whisk in the milk until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, mixing until smooth .
- Allow to sit for about 5 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Drizzle over the tops of the cooled cookies.
Keywords: Nutty, Healthy, Gluten-Free