These snowball cookies are my favorite Christmas cookie of all time. Only 5 ingredients, plus the secret and powdered sugar. I love the walnut flavor of the cookies and not knowing what secret filling I will get.
- 1 Cup Butter (softened, may also use margarine)
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 3/4 Cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- 1 Cup Walnuts (Finely Chopped)
- Candy Kisses, walnuts, sliced orange slices, gum drops or other favorite candies for the secret in the middle of the cookie
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar (or more or less, depending on preference)
- Using an electric stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or handheld electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar.
- Beat in the vanilla. Gradually add flour; beating after each addition. Stir in the nuts; mix until fully incorporated. Divide dough in half and refrigerate in plastic wrap for approximately 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange oven rack in middle of oven and preheat to 375ºF.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Measure dough using a small, 1-inch spring-loaded scoop making sure each scoopful is level. Put the scoop in your hand, press a dent with your finger and put the secret candy in the middle and form the dough around the candy, not leaving any candy showing. Roll dough between palms of hands to achieve a small rounded ball.
- Place dough balls 1½ inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven until the cookies are just beginning to brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. They are easy to over bake. Make sure the underside of the cookies are only lightly browned.
- Cool cookies on baking sheets on wire racks for approximately 5 minutes. Don't try to move them too soon, because they are very crumbly when warm.
- Move cookies to a wire rack to cool for a few more minutes. While cookies are still slightly warm, gently roll them in the powdered sugar. Place the sugar-coated cookies back on wire racks to cool completely. Roll cookies once again in the confectioners’ sugar (you may want to skip this step if you like less powdered sugar.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. Cookies will keep up to 4 weeks.
- These cookies freeze especially well.
- To me, these really should have walnuts, but I know a lot of people prefer pecans to walnuts, so pecans could be substituted for walnuts.
Keywords: Gluten-Free, Christmas, Surprise, Fun