This is so easy to make and tastes so good and I really like this recipe for cooking it in the slow cooker. Definitely a keeper!
- 2.5 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 3 cans Great Northern Beans, drained
- 2 8 oz cans Diced Green Chilies
- 1 Very large yellow Onion (diced)
- 1 Tbl Garlic, (minced)
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper
- 1 Tbl Coarse Real Salt
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
Optional Ingredients (See Notes)
- 1/3 Cup Cilantro (chopped)
- Place the chicken thighs, beans, chilies, onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, pepper, salt, chicken broth, and coconut milk in a crock pot. Cook on high for 5-6 hours, or until chicken is very tender.
- Remove the chicken and place in a bowl. Lightly shred with a fork.
- Place the arrowroot starch in a small bowl and slowly whisk in the 1/2 C. water to make a smooth, lump-free mixture. Stir the mixture into the chili in the crock pot.
- Add the chicken back into the chili and stir to distribute. Let cook for another 30 minutes. Soup should thicken up.
- Add the cilantro to the soup just before serving and check the seasonings, adding more salt or pepper if desired. If you want the soup to be a little thinner, add more chicken broth or coconut milk until desired consistency is achieved.
- Top with a squeeze of lime juice.
I often leave out the optional ingredients. I personally feel if you leave out the milk then you don't need the arrowroot starch to thicken it up. I think the arrowroot can make it slimey.
But it is creamier and richer with it in. It's a bit of a personal preference on what you like.
I often add in fresh or canned jalepeno peppers in addition to or instead of the diced green chilies.
Keywords: chicken, great northern beans, green chilis, gluten-free