This simple Navajo Tacos recipe is super-easy because the dough doesn't have to rise and pulls together in a few minutes. You can even get away with only putting a little oil in the bottom of a pan. And bonus - the chili pulls together in a few minutes. My kids totally love this stuff!
30-Minute Chili Ingredients
- 1 lb ground beef (browned)
- 15 oz cans dark kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 oz can of chili beans
- 15 oz can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 14.5 oz can of tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- homemade chili seasoning (recipe below)
Chili Seasoning Ingredients
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic salt
Fry Bread Ingredients
- 2 Cups white einkorn flour
- 1 Tbl baking powder
- 1 tsp Real Salt
- 1 Cup whole milk
- 2 Tbl oil for frying (I like avocado oil because it has a high smoke point)
Optional Navajo Taco Toppings
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions
- Start the CHILI RECIPE and while it is cooking, make the FRY BREAD RECIPE
- Top with your favorite optional toppings.
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot
- Stir together
- Heat on medium-high until the chili starts to simmer
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes (or longer)
Fry Bread Instructions
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in milk, and mix until the dough comes together. The amount of milk is an approximation. Just add a little at a time until it comes together. With the einkorn, you will need a lot less milk, like maybe 1/4 cup less.
- Add more flour if necessary to be able to handle the dough. On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth, at least 5 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large, deep heavy skillet to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C). Oil should be anywhere from just coating the bottom of the pan to 1 1/2 inches deep.
- Break off 3/4 cup sized pieces of dough, and shape into round discs 1/4 inch in thickness, making a thinner depressed area in the center. Fry breads in the hot oil until golden on both sides, turning only once. Drain on paper towels.
Keywords: simple, healthy, easy, no-rise