This is bursting with flavor and is so refreshing and healthy. It just makes everything taste good. Plus, it's Whole30, Paleo, Clean Eating, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Vegan.
- 1 pound tomatillos (about 6-8)
- 1-2 jalapeños (de-seeded and roughly chopped (you can leave the seeds in if you like your sauce especially spicy - I used 2 jalapeños and removed the seeds)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 large onion
- 4-5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp Real Salt , or more to taste
- 1 Tbl. lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Rinse and dry the tomatillos and jalapeños.
- Remove the husks from the tomatillos and discard them.
- Cut the tomatillos in half.
- Remove and discard the stem from the jalapeños and cut them in half. Leave the seeds if you like it spicy or remove them for a more mild flavor.
- Remove and discard the skin from the onion and cut it in fourths.
- Place the tomatillos, jalapeños and onion on a baking sheet, cut side down (no oil is necessary).
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until they have all browned and are tender.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let them cool slightly.
- Place all oven ingredients in a food processor or blender (I used a Vitamix ) along with the remaining ingredients and blend until you reach the desired consistency.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to five days or freeze.
- If you want creamy salsa, let the oven ingredients cool then add one avocado before blending.
- Be careful when blending hot ingredients.
- If it is too thick, add a little water (this especially happens after being in the refrigerator for awhile).
Keywords: homemade, healthy, flavorful