Jumbo shrimp covered in a Paleo coconut batter and a shrimp sauce with crushed pineapple and coconut milk .
- 1 Egg
- 1 ½ tsp Arrowroot Starch
- ¾ tsp Real Salt
- 12 Jumbo shrimp (or 24 small shrimp, deveined, shells removed, and butterflied)
- 1 Cup Shredded, Unsweetened Dried Coconut
- 4 tsp Coconut Flour
- Oil (for frying)
FOR THE SAUCE
- Beat the egg, arrowroot starch, and ¾ t. salt together in a small bowl with a wire whisk until well blended.
- Add the shrimp to the egg mixture and toss to coat. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix together the coconut flour and shredded coconut.
- Heat about 1” of oil in a high sided frying pan to medium/high.
- Working one shrimp at a time, shake off any excess egg mixture and bread in the shredded coconut mixture, pressing the coating into the shrimp until well coated. Repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Fry the shrimp in the hot oil until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes, turning as necessary. Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
FOR THE SAUCE:
- Place the ¾ C. coconut milk, crushed pineapple, honey, and salt in a small sauce pan. Bring to a simmer.
- Let simmer for about 5 minutes, or until thickened slightly.
- Mix the arrowroot starch and 2 T. coconut milk together until smooth. Pour the mixture into the simmering sauce, whisking swiftly as you pour, until incorporated. Continue to whisk as mixture thickens.
- When thickened, remove from heat and serve.
Nutrition calculated based on 1/4 pound of shrimp per person, or 6 jumbo shrimp on average.
Keywords: Paleo, Guten-Free, Hawaiian, healthy