This marinara has tons of flavor from the roasted vegetables and can be easily customized, such as adding meat or using your choice of noodles.
- 10 Roma Tomatoes (halved lengthwise)
- Real Salt *
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for drizzling)
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
- 1 Sweet Onion (chopped)
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (cut into small dice)
- 2 Carrots (cut into small dice)
- 1 1/2 tsp Real Salt *
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary (chopped)
- 1 tsp Fresh Oregano (chopped)
- Pinch Red Chili Flakes
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Place tomatoes cut side up on a baking sheet. sprinkle salt and pepper over the tops of the tomatoes and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 2 hours, until they are soft, fragrant, and browned on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Place tomato halves, oil, and juices in a blender and pulse until roughly pureed. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan on medium/high heat.
- Add the onion, peppers, and carrots and saute for 4-5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the salt, rosemary, oregano, and chili flakes to the pan and saute for another 3-4 minutes. The vegetables should start lightly caramelizing.
- Add the garlic and saute for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the water, bay leaves, and the roasted tomato sauce to the pan and reduce the heat to medium.
- Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and adjust seasonings, adding more salt if desired.
- Serve over zucchini noodles.
Keywords: Flavorful, Customize, Roasted, Vegan