Chunky Vegetable Roasted Tomato Pasta Sauce Recipe
This marinara has tons of flavor from the roasted vegetables and can be easily customized, such as adding meat or using your choice of noodles.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Paleo
- 10 Roma Tomatoes (halved lengthwise)
- Real Salt *
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for drizzling)
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
- 1 Sweet Onion (chopped)
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (cut into small dice)
- 2 Carrots (cut into small dice)
- 1 1/2 tsp Real Salt *
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary (chopped)
- 1 tsp Fresh Oregano (chopped)
- Pinch Red Chili Flakes
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Place tomatoes cut side up on a baking sheet. sprinkle salt and pepper over the tops of the tomatoes and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 2 hours, until they are soft, fragrant, and browned on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Place tomato halves, oil, and juices in a blender and pulse until roughly pureed. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan on medium/high heat.
- Add the onion, peppers, and carrots and saute for 4-5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the salt, rosemary, oregano, and chili flakes to the pan and saute for another 3-4 minutes. The vegetables should start lightly caramelizing.
- Add the garlic and saute for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the water, bay leaves, and the roasted tomato sauce to the pan and reduce the heat to medium.
- Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and adjust seasonings, adding more salt if desired.
- Serve over zucchini noodles.
Keywords: Flavorful, Customize, Roasted, Vegan