This is a simple meal; it is simply a chuck roast with potatoes and carrots with a sauce over it.
- 3 lbs Chuck Roast
- 5 Potatoes (cut into chunks (parsnips for Paleo)
- 1 Onion (cut into chunks)
- 4 Carrots (cut into chunks)
- 2 cups Beef Stock or broth
- 2 cups Water
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Real Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Prep: Cut all of the potatoes and onions into large chunks. Using large chunks (about 2 inches square) helps to make sure they don’t turn to mush in the slow cooker.
- Add Ingredients: Add the roast to the crockpot, then the rest of the ingredients. The roast should be covered in liquid so, if necessary, add water until it is covered.
- Cooking: Depending on your slow cooker and how fast it cooks will depend on the time. Mine is pretty hot so it took about 5 hours on high/10 hours on low. You will know it is done when you put a fork in it and it just falls apart.
- Serving: Once it is done remove the roast, potatoes, onions, and carrots and enjoy.
- Gravy: You can use the juice over your roast or you can make a gravy by putting it on the stove and bringing it to a boil while whisking in arrowroot starch or cornstarch to the desired texture.
- The cooking time varies greatly depending on the cut of meat, the quality of meat, the size of the roast, the brand of the slow cooker, how dry you like your meat, etc.
- I often leave mine on high for up to 8 hours. But I also generally buy roast when it's on a good sale and stock up and freeze it and I buy grass-fed or other high-quality meat and it doesn't get nearly as tough and has more fat and it takes longer to break down.
- So, of course, a frozen solid roast is going to take quite a while just to unthaw. But it's a good way to save money and afford higher-quality cuts of meat.
- My slow cooker is also on the older side and I've heard that newer slow cookers cook at a higher temperature than old ones.
- Check the roast an hour or so before the suggested cooking time and see if it's done to your liking earlier.
Keywords: Simple, Healthy