Coconut Lime Paleo Strawberry Shortcake
This Coconut-Paleo Lime Strawberry Shortcake is a refreshing twist on the golden shortcake with luscious strawberries and mounds of fluffy whipped cream we all love. You’ll be amazed this is Paleo!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
1/3 cup ground chia seeds *
or flax seed meal/ground flax seeds stirred into 1 cup water
4 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups almond milk
For the strawberry-lime topping
1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
1 – 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (use more or less to taste) or 1/2 – 2 teaspoons lime zest, or combine both to taste
For the whipped cream
Whole or halved strawberries
- Stir the flax meal or chia seeds and water together and set aside to thicken.
- Place a rack center-oven and heat it to 350. Grease and flour an 8- or 9-inch square pan or two 7- or 8-inch round pans. If you’re using round pans line the bottoms with parchment paper, then grease and flour the paper.
- Thoroughly whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Beat the eggs until frothy. Beat the rest of the wet ingredients into the eggs one at a time.
- Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet. Add a little more almond milk if the batter is too thick to pour.
- Fill the pan(s) and bake for about an hour and 20 minutes for a square pan, or 35 – 40 minutes for round pans. Loosely cover with foil about halfway though. Remove when a cake tester or toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely before removing them from round pans. Run a sharp knife along the sides and tap on the counter to loosen, then cover with a plate, flip over and remove the pan.
- Hull and slice the strawberries. Stir with lime juice and/or zest and sweetener and refrigerate until using.
- Empty the cans of coconut cream, including liquid, into a bowl or food processor container and whip with an electric mixer, stand mixer, large-capacity food processor, stick blender or by hand. When it changes from coconut solids to a soft cream, add sweetener and vanilla to taste. Keep beating or pulsing until the cream thickens enough to hold peaks, usually within a few minutes.
- Refrigerate until using. If the whipped cream hardens during storage, beat with a whisk until creamy.
- If you’re making a layered cake, assemble it close to serving time. For best results with a square cake, slice it first and top individual servings with berries and cream.
- To make it extra fancy, garnish with fresh strawberries, grated lime zest and/or toasted coconut. Toast the coconut over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until it’s browned to your liking. Remove it from the pan as soon as it’s off the stove to avoid burning.
Keywords: Paleo, strawberry, shortcake, cake