This recipe uses spaghetti squash tossed in a dairy-free pesto and is topped with bursted sweet cherry tomatoes in garlic oil. This recipe makes a little more pesto than necessary so that the maker can choose to add as much or as little pesto to the squash as they like.
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 2 Cups Fresh Basil (packed)
- 1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Real Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes (can use a variety of colors)
- 1 1/2 Tbl Olive oil
- 1 tsp Garlic (minced)
- 1/4 tsp Real Salt
- dash of Pepper
- Basil Leaves (to garnish)
Bake/Roast the Squash
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place the two squash halves on a baking sheet, cut side up, and roast for 35-45 minutes (time will vary depending on size of squash), until squash is fully cooked and tender.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
Make the Pesto
- Meanwhile (this can also be done while squash is cooking), place the basil, pine nuts, garlic, 1/2 t. salt, and 1/4 t. pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine and coarsely chop ingredients. Add the 1/2 C. olive oil to the bowl and process until well blended and smooth. Check seasonings and add more salt and pepper, if desired. Set aside.
Make the Sauce
- Place the cherry tomatoes, 1 1/2 T. olive oil, 1 t. garlic, 1/4 t. salt, and dash of pepper in a small saute pan. Heat on medium high.
- When the tomatoes start sizzling, toss everything in the skillet around every 30 seconds. The tomatoes are done when the skins start to wrinkle and blister. Remove from heat.
Put it Together
- Using a fork, scrape the strings of cooked spaghetti squash out of their shells into a large bowl (squash should still be hot).
- Stir the pesto together if the oil has separated and add 1/2 C. of pesto to the squash. Toss well with tongs, coating the squash with the pesto. Add more pesto, if desired.
- Plate the pesto coated squash and top with the bursted tomatoes, drizzlingthe garlic oil over the squash, as well.
- Garnish with a few basil leaves.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: baked, Whole30, Vegan, healthy, easy