The secret to a perfectly smooth hummus is peeling the skins of the chickpeas off. It is definitely time consuming, but makes a HUGE difference. If you hold each chickpea between two fingers and pinch it a little, the skins will sort of just pop off. it adds about an extra 8-10 minutes to the prep time, but I think it's worth it. You can make the hummus with the skins on, but it will not have the same smooth texture.
- 15 oz Can Chickpeas (skins removed (Garbanzo beans))
- 1/3 Cup Tahini Paste (or substitute 2 Tbl. peanut butter and 1/8 tsp. of cumin)
- Juice of half a large Lemon
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/8 tsp Cumin
- 1 t Real Salt
- 3-4 T Water (or reserved liquid from chickpeas)
- Olive oil (for garnish)
- Paprika (for garnish)
- Chopped Parsley (for garnish)
- Place all ingredients(except for water) in the bowl of a food processor. Process until very smooth, at least 1 minute. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and process until desired thinness is achieved. Check seasonings and add more salt if desired.
- Spoon Hummus into a bowl. Drizzle the top with olive oil and sprinkle a few dashes of paprika and a few pinches of parsley on top.
- Optional toppings or mix-ins - roasted red pepper, horseradish, sun-dried tomato, roasted garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, cucumber, avocado, cayenne pepper or paprika
- Keep refrigerated.
Keywords: Smooth, Classic, Easy, Healthy