Nourishing Kale Paleo Chicken Soup Slow Cooker Recipe Recipe
A one-pot chicken soup with a nourishing broth made from chicken bones, fresh thyme, garlic. Loaded with bright vegetables and tender, fall off the bone chicken.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 360 minutes
- Total Time: 405 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Paleo
- 2 lb Chicken Thighs (about 5 thighs)
- 1/2 Tbsp Real Salt *
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 2 Fresh Thyme
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 5 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Tbsp Chicken Base (if using water instead of chicken broth)
- 1 lb Carrots (sliced in half lengthwise and cut into 1/4″ slices)
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1/2 Bunch Kale (chopped into bite-sized pieces, about 4 cups packed)
- 1/2 Tbl Fresh Thyme
- To Taste Real Salt
- Place the chicken thighs in the base of a crock pot. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken.
- Place the thyme sprigs and minced garlic on top of the chicken.
- Pour the water (or chicken broth) into the crock pot. Add the chicken base, if using.
- Cook the chicken on high for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours the chicken should be “fall off the bone” tender.
- Remove the chicken from the crock pot and place in a bowl.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and discard.
- At this point, if you desire, you can strain the broth in the crock pot through a fine mesh sieve(if you want a broth free from any debris left from the chicken).
- Add the broth back to the crock pot after straining.
- Turn heat back to high.
- Separate the chicken from the bones.
- Lightly shred the chicken. Discard any cartilage.
- Add the bones back to the soup and cover and refrigerate the chicken.
- Add the carrots, onions, and chopped thyme to the broth and cook on high for 2 hours.
- In the last 1/2 hour of cooking, add the kale to the soup.
- After 2 hours the carrots should be soft and tender, along with the kale.
- Remove the bones from the soup and discard.
- Check the seasonings and add more salt or pepper as necessary.
- Add the chicken to the soup and allow to reheat for about 10 minutes. Do not stir too much or the chicken will become over-shredded.
Keywords: nourishing, fresh, tender, one pot