This is a Paleo chicken Soup slow cooker recipe loaded with bright vegetables and tender, fall off the bone chicken. It is packed full of hearty vegetables and tender, juicy chicken. I decided to call this chicken soup "nourishing" since you create your own meat broth using bone-in thighs.
You can make it even more nourishing by throwing in some bones so you get some bone broth action going too. After all, my favorite way to make bone broth is to cook a bunch of bones in my crockpot for a few days. So go again and throw a few leftover bones and maybe a chicken foot or two in the crockpot.
Oh, and after you are done eating your delicious soup, make sure and save all the bones in your freezer to use in your next bone broth. Or better yet, just keep them in overnight and have a delicious, rich bone broth in your crockpot in the morning.
Something else unique about this recipe is that you don't put the vegetables in the crockpot until the last two hours. I just can't stand it when vegetables are cooked all day in the crockpot and end up mushy and barely have any nutrients left in them.
Another trick you could do to satisfy multiple diets (which we do all the time at my house) is to cook this version for you but cook some noodles separately and those who want can add noodles to their soup.
My recipe library tends to be packed full of crockpot recipes because they are so magical. Recipes in the crockpot typically taste very good and they are so convenient! You can throw everything in a pot, turn it on and then you can do other things. When it is dinner time you can come back and have a great meal!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did! If you try this Chicken Soup recipe let me know what you think of it and any changes you would make!Print
A one-pot chicken soup with a nourishing broth made from chicken bones, fresh thyme, garlic. Loaded with bright vegetables and tender, fall off the bone chicken.
- 2 lb Chicken Thighs (about 5 thighs)
- ½ Tbsp Real Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 2 Fresh Thyme
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 5 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Tbsp Chicken Base (if using water instead of chicken broth)
- 1 lb Carrots (sliced in half lengthwise and cut into ¼" slices)
- 1 Yellow Onion
- ½ Bunch Kale (chopped into bite-sized pieces, about 4 cups packed)
- ½ Tbl Fresh Thyme
- To Taste Real Salt
- Place the chicken thighs in the base of a crock pot. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken.
- Place the thyme sprigs and minced garlic on top of the chicken.
- Pour the water (or chicken broth) into the crock pot. Add the chicken base, if using.
- Cook the chicken on high for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours the chicken should be "fall off the bone" tender.
- Remove the chicken from the crock pot and place in a bowl.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and discard.
- At this point, if you desire, you can strain the broth in the crock pot through a fine mesh sieve (if you want a broth free from any debris left from the chicken).
- Add the broth back to the crock pot after straining.
- Turn heat back to high.
- Separate the chicken from the bones.
- Lightly shred the chicken. Discard any cartilage.
- Add the bones back to the soup and cover and refrigerate the chicken.
- Add the carrots, onions, and chopped thyme to the broth and cook on high for 2 hours.
- In the last ½ hour of cooking, add the kale to the soup.
- After 2 hours the carrots should be soft and tender, along with the kale.
- Remove the bones from the soup and discard.
- Check the seasonings and add more salt or pepper as necessary.
- Add the chicken to the soup and allow to reheat for about 10 minutes. Do not stir too much or the chicken will become over-shredded.
Keywords: nourishing, fresh, tender, one-pot
You may also like...
- Keto Crockpot Recipes Index
- Pork Crock Pot Chili Verde Recipe
- Zucchini Crock Pot Paleo Lasagna Recipe
- Healthy Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- Paleo Slow Cooker Recipes That Will Simplify Your Life
- Paleo Slow Cooker Pork Roast Recipe with Chimichurri Sauce
- Whole 30 Crockpot Recipes Index - The Crockpot Does All the Work!
- The Best Ever Paleo Beef Stew Slow Cooker Recipe