Butternut Squash Clean Eating Macaroni & Cheese Recipe - the squash makes it healthier and creamy, but it still has enough cheese to be delicious!
- 12 ounces dried Whole Wheat Elbow Macaroni Noodles or regular, white elbow macaroni
- 1 small Butternut Squash
- 2 Tbl Butter
- 2 Tbl Whole Wheat Flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 4 Cups grated Cheddar Cheese (divided)
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Prepared Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Real Salt + more to taste
- 1/8 tsp White Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs (use seasoned, if desired)
- Cut or peel the skin off of the butternut squash, scrap out the seeds, and cut the squash into 1/2" cubes.
- Place in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook squash for 8-10 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain the water and place the squash in a food processor. Process until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and season with 1/2 tablespoon salt.
- Bring to a boil. Add the macaroni noodles to the water.
- Stir once and let cook, stirring occasionally for 9-10 minutes, or until just under al dente. Pasta should be just a little firmer than you would want it to be when eating because it will continue to cook and soften in the oven when baking.
- ?Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium/high heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup of the milk and whisk until thickened and smooth.
- Add in the butternut squash puree and whisk until smooth and bubbling.
- Add 2 cups of the grated cheese and whisk in until melted and smooth.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup milk and whisk until smooth. Add 1 more cup of cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Add the onion powder, mustard, salt, and pepper, and whisk until smooth.
- Drain the cooked pasta and toss it with the cheese sauce.
- Scoop the pasta into a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese on top.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the cheese and bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until hot and bubbling and cheese on top is melted.
Keywords: clean eating, healthy, creamy