Paleo Tigernut Flour Recipes Index, Pros, Cons and Best Prices
I have 25 of the best Paleo Tigernut flour recipes right here for your convenience – but what is tigernut flour anyway? Well, that is a very good question. A Tigernut is a small root vegetable which is native to northern Africa or the Mediterranean. So to keep you from wondering – no it isn’t a nut, like the name implies, it is a root. Because Tigernut is not a nut or grain, it is a good option for people looking for some diversity that eat gluten-free or Paleo. For people who are also allergic to nuts, it is a great option because it also adds protein to your diet.
Tigernut flour is great because:
- It is a prebiotic, which is great, because it helps feed the good bacteria in your tummy
- Tigernut flour is high in protein
- It is also high in iron, zinc, potassium, magnesium and vitamins C and E
- You can generally use a 1:1 ratio when adapting recipes with this flour.
- Recipes generally turn out like “normal” flour
- Tigernuts are also high in fiber; they contain 40 percent of the fiber you need each day.
- Tigernut flour has a slightly sweet flavor, plus a somewhat nutty flavor, so it is good for baking desserts because you can add less sugar.
- It also works well in combination with other flours and starches like almond or coconut flour, oats and arrowroot starch etc.
- Because Tigernut flour has a crunchy, sweet texture and flavor it is good in baking recipes like pie crusts and cookies, brownies or pancakes.
- It can be hard to find and can be expensive (like three times the cost of some other Paleo flours).
- Some people think it has the texture of sand with soft things, like pancakes, but they don’t notice it with things like cookies.
- The high fiber content can cause problems for some people.
Brand and Cost Comparison
Organic Gemini – Amazon
Organic Gemini – Vitacost*Please note that most of the links on this page are affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase, you will receive the same price, but I will receive a little money for referring you to the product. This helps keep this blog free for you. I truly appreciate you supporting my blog.
Organic Gemini – Lucky Vitamin
Tiger Nuts – Amazon
Tigernut flour seems to be a really good option as an alternative gluten-free or Paleo flour. I haven’t tried it yet but I plan to soon. I’ve got the best Paleo tigernut flour recipes below to try it out on. How about you, have you tried tigernut flour? Do you want to try it? When you do try it, let me know how it turns out because I would love to know how you like it.
Other recipes you may also enjoy:
25 of the Best Paleo Tigernut Flour Recipes