I first ran across the idea that it was actually possible to have delicious, affordable healthy meals delivered to my home about six months ago. I decided to give it a try and now I’m spoiled for life. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to go back to regular meal prep again!
- There is no meal prep involved at all! You don’t get ingredients and then still have to make the meal. It’s all prepared and ready to heat up.
- They generally only take three minutes to warm up in the microwave.
- You don’t have to plan, shop, make or clean up dinner. Can you even imagine how much time this would save in your life?
- I don’t have to go to the grocery nearly as often. Since I only buy my dinners pre-made, I have to buy my other meals and food for my children but I still go a lot less often.
- I don’t waste time meal planning anymore.
- I’m often busy right up until dinner time, take the time to leisurely enjoy my meal, throw the container away and put my fork in the dishwasher and I can get right back to being productive again. It’s amazing!
- We pretty much never eat out anymore. This saves us so much money. In the past, just because I didn’t feel like cooking, we had to pay for six of us to eat out, which can get really expensive really fast.
- It defies logic, but we save several hundred dollars every month on groceries. I think it’s because we have so much less waste, we pretty much never eat out and our children only eat the meals sometimes. The other times, they eat really simple, affordable food they mostly make themselves.
- When I go on vacation, I just pack my cooler full of meals and saves TONS of money on vacation vs. eating out every night. I’ve even had my meals delivered to my vacation rental.
- Depending on your situation, the meals may cost more money for you.
- They may not have meals you like.
- Since my husband and I eat pre-made meals and our children only do once or twice a week, we try to still have one night a week where we make a nice meal as a family.
- You generally get the best price when you buy the larger quantity of meals so I will do things like buy 12 meals and freeze up to 6 of them a week and when I have a week’s worth in my freezer I pause a week’s delivery and just eat frozen meals for a week.
- The meals taste almost as good frozen and you get good at knowing which types of meals don’t work as well frozen. Just eat those ones first. Don’t freeze scrambled eggs and I don’t like spaghetti squash or pasta frozen but pretty much all the other meals are great after they have been frozen.
- Free from refined sugars
- All natural
- The food tastes really good
- You can pause your meals or change them whenever you want
- They don’t make any claims about weight loss but I’m been eating their meals for about six months and lost about 10 pounds. I think a big part of it is portion control and that the meals are consistently healthy (so it’s easy to stay on track).
- I’m not consistent with eating veggies, especially when I haven’t been shopping for a while and I find their side dishes to be extra delicious.
- They have a few questionable ingredients like canola oil
- Since I am picky about the foods I like and have diet restrictions I tend to eat the same meals over and over so I’m a little sick of certain meals.
- I tend toward a high protein, low carb diet and find some of their meals don’t have enough protein for me. I wish they had more options for meals sizes, like a half size I could get for my children or add on to my meal when I’m feeling extra hungry. My sister thinks their portions are too large. I would say they are a normal portion size. I just eat extra large portions, partly because I do intermittent fasting and tend to eat a lot when I do eat and I don’t snack and I go a long time between meals so I want to get full when I do eat.
- They don’t have any fresh food options, so you may want to add a fresh green salad, a smoothie, some fruit or fresh veggies to complete your meal.
- Order 12 meals for the best deal like I mention above.
I’m going to try out a few more companies and let you know how it goes. Please comment below with any questions or experiences you have had with any prepared meals companies.