When I was younger I tried apple pie once and did not like it at all. It was years later my best friend had me try her mom’s “famous” apple crisp recipe, and I LOVED IT! That was when I realized I am an apple crisp kind of girl but not an apple pie kind of girl. I like how the apple crisp caramelizes and the texture is more appealing to me; the crunchy crust combined with the soft apples is a perfect combination in my opinion.
This would also make a good starting-point for other crisps recipes, such as strawberry rhubarb crisp or a berry crisp and would taste fantastic in a dutch oven. Do you prefer apple pie or apple crisp? Why? Share your thoughts below and enjoy this paleo apple crisp recipe!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 6 (½ C.) ramekins, place on a baking sheet, and set aside.
- Peel and core the apples and cut into a medium dice. Place diced apples in a large mixing bowl and toss with the juice of ½ a lemon.
- Sprinkle the arrowroot starch, nutmeg, and cinnamon over the apples and toss well to coat. Add the ½ C. honey to the apples and toss to coat.
- Divide the apple mixture between prepared ramekins, packing the apples down as needed. Place 1 teaspoon of butter on top of each apple filled dish and top each teaspoon of butter with 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Bake in preheated oven for 32 minutes.
- While the apples are baking, prepare the almond topping:
- Place the almond flour, salt, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Cut the cold butter into very small cubes and add to almond flour. Cut the butter cubes into flour until they resemble coarse crumbs. Drizzle the 2 ½ T. of honey over the mixture and work it in with your fingers. Mixture should form very large clumps.
- When the apples have baked for about 32 minutes, remove them from the oven and divide the almond mixture evenly over the tops of each ramekin.
- Place the dishes back in the oven on the top rack and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes, or until the topping starts to turn lightly brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Serve with a vanilla coconut milk ice cream.