This is the best clean eating healthy biscuits and gravy recipe. Einkorn flour is way more healthy then all-purpose flour. You should try it! This recipe is so good. I can’t quite define what it is I love about biscuits and gravy so much. They are just good and comforting. Plus, they are actually pretty darn easy.
I actually normally don’t like sausage, but I LOVE white sauce, and the sausage makes the plain white sauce so flavorful. Plus, you put the gravy over biscuits. Yum. I’ve been making biscuits from scratch since college. My roommate and I made biscuits in college A LOT. They are so inexpensive, easy to make, versatile and comforting.
One of the other things that make this recipe so good and easy is that you use the same pan to cook the sausage in and then use the yummy bits from the bottom of the pan to flavor the gravy.
I pretty much always order biscuits and gravy at restaurants when they are on the menu. They are hard to find though, and they are usually very unhealthy and filled with preservatives and fake flavor. The best biscuits and gravy I ever had were at my grandma’s.
None are as good, including mine. Not to say these aren’t good, but the food my grandma made was really good and healthy. She lived on a farm and sourced everything fresh. Even the milk she got from their cows my Grandpa milked. Even when grandma got older and they didn’t have cows, they bought their milk from a neighbor that sold it fresh from the cows. It’s hard to beat that for flavor or health.
Plus, she did it because her neighbor was a lot closer than a grocery store. She also did it to save money. Back then, the less you did to milk, the less it cost. Now it’s the opposite way. Raw milk around these parts goes for around $10 a gallon. Seriously ridiculous how expensive it can be to eat healthily. It’s a good thing I know a few tricks to keep the costs down.
Here are some tips and tricks for this recipe:
- Normally I like my biscuits really light and fluffy and a bit underdone so they are a teeny bit doughy. However, for this recipe, I think it’s better to make sure they are cooked all the way so they stay crisp and flaky. Get the Clean Eating biscuits recipe here.
- It’s easy to make your own breakfast sausage by getting ground pork and adding some seasonings to it. I’m sure there are recipes on Pinterest for that.
- Pretty much any type of flour is a good substitute for the einkorn flour , if you aren’t in love with it like I am, or can’t have it, etc.
I would love to know if you’ve ever made them from scratch. Please comment below!
You may also like these recipes:
P.S. I'm in love with Etsy lately! Check out my favorite kitchen items to help me cook, clean and organize my kitchen!Print
Best Clean Eating Healthy Biscuits and Gravy Recipe
This biscuits with gravy recipe is easy to make and totally comforting. I make it for breakfast and dinner a lot!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Clean Eating
- Place the beef or pork in a saucepan and cook over medium/high heat, breaking the meat into small crumbles as it cooks.
- Add the chili flakes, ground sage, garlic powder, and salt to the meat.
- When the meat is fully cooked and bits are becoming crisp and golden brown, stir in the flour. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly, to cook out the starchy flavor.
- Add one cup of the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick.
- Stir in the remaining milk and bring back to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, for another 1 to 2 minutes, or until desired thickness is reached.
- Add black pepper to taste, as well as more salt, if needed.
- Serve over Clean Eating biscuits.
Keywords: Healthy, Comforting, Versatile