My gluten-free healthy chicken tikka masala recipe is so tasty it will make your taste buds explode. No need to call the doctor though, it’s all good. I don’t know if you’ve tried Tikka Masala before, but it’s my children’s favorite. Every time we go out to eat, an Indian restaurant is always near the top of their wish list – and they always want the tikka. I can barely get them to try anything else since they like it so much.
A long time ago one of my friends invited me over for homemade chicken tikka masala. I had no idea that food could be so good. Even so, I shortly forgot about her delightful Indian chicken dish until sometime this year, when all of a sudden I discovered an insatiable craving for the delightful combo of the sweet, somewhat spicy and savory sauce, served over a bed of jasmine or Basmati Rice.
I found a store-bought version in a jar that I used in an attempt to quell my craving, but somewhere inside I knew. That jar. That expiration date, so far in the future. Preservatives lurking somewhere beyond the label. I studied the ingredients listed and decided that I could come up with my own version of healthy chicken tikka masala with coconut milk and a few other pantry staples and have quite an easy and tasty alternative to that delicious dish I tasted so many years ago.
The basics of this recipe break down traditional curry powder, but like most people, I personally have all of the separate spices on hand more often. Also, when you break the combination apart, you can omit ingredients, such as the poblano pepper, to adjust to your desired level of spicy, or double up on the more beneficial ones, like fresh ginger, if you need a little digestive boost.
Trust me, it’s spicy if you make it this way. But this healthy chicken tikka masala with coconut milk and greek yogurt recipe is goooood, so good, just the way it is. I wouldn’t change a thing!
Serve on top of a bed of jasmine or Basmati Rice, with chickpeas on the side, or my personal preference, mix it all in together. If you are like me and have a garden full of tomatoes right now, I’d even go for making your own tomato sauce, if you have the time, that is.
That part takes A LOT of time!!
Do you have any favorite Indian recipes? Do you make your own curry or buy the premixed kind?
You may also like these recipes:Print
Healthy Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe with Greek Yogurt, Chickpeas and Maple Syrup
I love the flavor of this gluten-free chicken tikka masala and I like the health benefits from the greek yogurt and this recipe isn’t too hard. This recipe uses Greek yogurt, coconut milk, and chickpeas.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt (I’m addicted to Chobani. Hands down; it performs the best. Guaranteed.)
- 1/2 Lime (juiced)
- 4 tsp Cumin (divided)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 6 tsp Real Salt (divided)
- 2 Chicken Breasts (cubed – about 1 pound)
- 1 15 ounce Can Chickpeas (rinsed and drained, optional)
- 12 oz Tomato Paste
- 1 13.5 ounce Can Coconut Milk
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 1 Poblano Pepper (diced)
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup (or Brown Sugar if you don’t want it to be Clean Eating)
- Mix greek yogurt, lime juice, ½ cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black peppers, ginger and ½ salt for chicken marinade.
- Add chicken cubes and marinade in refrigerator for 1-24 hours.
- Discard marinade and cook chicken in a skillet over medium heat until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in saucepan and add peppers, brown sugar and garlic. Sauté while adding remaining cumin, paprika, and salt.
- Add tomato paste and coconut milk.
- Reduce heat to low, add chicken and chickpeas and simmer until sauce thickens.
- Serve with or over rice. You can also eliminate the chicken and double the chickpeas for a hearty vegetarian option. YUM!
Keywords: greek yogurt, chicken, chickpeas, Chicken Tikka Masala