This simple, healthy lentil vegetable soup is packed full of nutrients and veggies and is hardy enough to be served as a meal. The entire family will love it!
It’s soup season!!! Last week was cold and snowy for us here in Utah, and although I don’t love cold, rainy weather, I do LOVE soup! And cold weather is the perfect excuse to whip up a big pot of soup…Plus my dad had sent in a request for some lentil vegetable soup. As I have mentioned before, I love getting requests…so while I watched the snow outside, I came up with this beauty – and it is a thing of beauty!
This soup is packed full of veggies with the added protein and flavor of lentils. It is definitely hardy enough to be served as a meal on its own or can be partnered up with your favorite salad or sandwich. It makes a large pot, so you can feed a crowd, or enjoy the leftovers for lunch – my favorite!
It also freezes really well and is perfect to have on hand for a super-fast meal or to make ahead and eat for lunch by itself or with a sandwich. I’ve found it to be a good way to introduce children and adults to veggies and lentils if they have shied away from them in the past.
This healthy soup is super versatile; basically, you can use whatever veggies you have on hand, and can even add to it if you want (i.e. you could add some meat if you wanted to make it even hardier). It can also be made in the crockpot (yay for crockpots) or on the stovetop. It is basically just all-around awesome!
You may also like these:
P.S. I'm in love with Etsy lately! Check out my favorite kitchen items to help me cook, clean and organize my kitchen!Print
Healthy Lentil Vegetable Soup Recipe
This simple, healthy vegetable soup with lentils is packed full of nutrients and veggies and is hardy enough to be served as a meal. The entire family will love it!
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or sub water for plant-based diet)
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small head of green cabbage, chopped
- 10 oz frozen green beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 (15 oz can) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp parsley
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large pot saute the garlic and onion in coconut oil or water until onion is translucent (3-5 minutes)
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well
- Allow to simmer on low heat 30-45 minutes
- Garnish with parsley and serve
- This can also be made in the crockpot, simply throw all the ingredients in and cook for 4-6 hours.
- Although I typically think of garnish as an optional ingredient, the fresh parsley in this soup really does make it taste extra delicious.
- To make this soup strictly Paleo; leave out the lentils
Keywords: simple, healthy, nutritious