This Paleo sweet potato pie recipe has an awesome crust. I did a mix of almond flour and tapioca starch and it ended up being the perfect flaky texture. This Paleo sweet potato pie recipe is fantastic for fall and winter. It is great for any party or holiday event. You can make this for Christmas or Thanksgiving for your family and friends or you can make it any day you want a nice warm treat to enjoy by the heater or fireplace.
I have never really had sweet potato pie, to be honest, but I was so surprised by this pie. Like I said, the crust was fantastic, and the filling was nice and firm. I’ve flavored it with ginger and orange zest to accent the sweet potato. The meringue on top is only sweetened with a little honey and is the perfect contrast to the firm pie.
To me, one of the best parts of this pie is that I like it a lot more than pumpkin pie. I just pretty much hate pumpkin pie. I make it because others like it, but I would much rather have other types of pies. Some types of pies are just really hard to do Paleo though and sometimes I like something a little healthy and filling in my pie, so that makes this my new go-to Paleo pie recipe.
Please let me know if you try this recipe and what you like and don’t like about it. I love to hear your comments!
If you like this Paleo Sweet Potato Pie, you may also like these recipes:Print
Paleo Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
I have to tell you, this crust is awesome. I did a mix of almond flour and tapioca starch and it ended up being the perfect texture. It was flaky, just like a regular pie crust. I have never really had sweet potato pie, to be honest, but I was so surprised by this pie. Like I said, the crust was fantastic, and the filling was nice and firm. I’ve flavored it with ginger and orange zest to accent the sweet potato. The meringue on top is only sweetened with a little honey and is the perfect contrast to the firm pie.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Total Time: 120 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Paleo
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 1.75 cups Almond Flour
- .5 cups Tapioca Flour
- .5 tsp Real Salt
- 6 Tbl Butter (cold)
- 1 Egg
FOR THE FILLING:
- 2.5 cups Sweet Potato Puree
- 1 orange
- 1/3 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Real Salt
- 1 Tbl Vanilla
- 2/3 cups Honey
- 2 ½ Tbl Coconut Oil (melted)
- 3 Eggs
FOR THE MERINGUE TOPPING:
- 4 Egg Whites (room temperature)
- 1 ½ Tbl Honey
FOR THE CRUST:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the almond flour, tapioca flour, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 4-5 times for a few seconds until blended.
- Add the butter, 1 T. at a time, processing for about 5 seconds with each addition until the butter resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the egg and process until the dough comes together.
- Pat the dough into a 9” pie dish. It may take a little time, but press the dough into the bottom and sides, evening out and smoothing the dough with the back of a spoon.
- Cover the pie crust with a sheet of tin foil. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
FOR THE FILLING:
- Place the sweet potato puree in the bowl of a food processor. Add the orange zest, ginger, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, honey, coconut oil, and eggs. Process until smooth and well blended. Pour the filling into the pre-baked pie crust and tap on the counter to smooth and level.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 65-75 minutes, or until the filling is puffed and set. Remove from the oven and let cool completely at room temperature.
- Refrigerate until cold.
FOR THE MERINGUE:
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a wire whisk. Beat until soft peaks form. With the mixer running, drizzle the honey into the bowl and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form. Placed the whipped egg whites in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe stars of meringue on top of the chilled pie, covering the entire surface.
- Place under a broiler and broil just until the egg whites start to brown on top. Watch closely as this happens quickly!
- Remove from broiler. Serve or keep chilled until service.