This is the best ever Healthy Crockpot Chicken Fajitas recipe. It's so easy to make and you can choose how long to cook it and what ingredients to use. It's no secret around here that I love my crockpot. I mean, it seems like everything in the crockpot is easy, tender, and delicious, especially this recipe.
The chicken gets really tender from cooking. You can choose if you want to cook the chicken for 4-5 hours on high or about 8 hours on low, depending on how it fits into your schedule. Usually, I don't like to cook chicken breasts in the crockpot because they get dried out, so that's what makes adding the pica de Gallo in with the chicken so good. It not only gives the fajitas good flavor, but it also helps to tenderize them and helps keep them from drying out - oh, and so easy to just dump something already made in your crockpot (or you could make your own).
This chicken fajitas recipe is also really good for groups because people can pick and choose the ingredients they like and get their own and you can keep the meat warm and have it made ahead of time so you can focus on last-minute preparations for your party. It is also good that way for different diets because people can pick and choose which ingredients are good on their particular diet.
As for the vegetables, I didn't add the vegetables to the crockpot - just sautéed them on high heat and put them with the chicken before serving so that they stayed crisp, but browned. This makes for a more traditional fajitas flavor as they have at restaurants. Alternatively, you could add the veggies to the crockpot for the last hour or two if you wanted. They would not be the same but would be easier since you wouldn't have to cook the veggies at the last minute.
Some other variations and substitutions I like to do:
- Sometimes I roast the vegetables in the oven. Just cut them up and put them in a single layer on a pan, drizzle with oil and salt and cook on 425.
- I personally love these with tomatillo salsa.
- For the Paleo diet, I often substitute the sour cream with my homemade mayo without anything added to it, so just eggs, salt, vinegar, and oil.
- I generally prefer the red, orange and yellow mini pepper medley instead of green peppers and I love sweet onions instead of the red and yellow onions.
- Instead of cooking this on high for 4-5 hours, you can cook it on low for about 8 hours. Just check the chicken every once in a while though, because chicken breasts dry out very easily. Luckily, the salsa cooked with the chicken helps that a lot.
- Use this Paleo Tortillas Recipe
Please let me know if you try this recipe. I would love to know what you like about it. Do you make fajitas at home very often? Personally, I love these with tomatillo salsa and avocado and I would love to hear your favorite way of eating them.
Cooking the chicken in the crock pot with the salsa makes the meat really tender and flavorful.
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Real Salt
- 1 Lime
- ½ Cup Green Chilis (canned is fine)
- 1 Cup Salsa
- 1-2 Tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Bell Peppers (sliced, any color)
- 1 Red Onion (sliced thickly)
- 1 Yellow Onion (sliced thickly)
- Paleo tortillas
- Place the chicken breasts in a crock pot. Top with the cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt, lime juice, diced green chilis, and salsa. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until chicken is tender and shreds easily. Shred the chicken lightly and replace the cover.
- Heat the oil on high heat in a large saute pan. Add the peppers and onions to the pan and saute until browned in places, yet still crisp. Your pan will need to be very hot to do this. Add the cooked vegetables to the crock pot with the chicken.
- Serve with tortillas, sour cream (optional), salsa, and lime wedges. Omit the tortillas and sour cream for Whole30. For Paleo use tortilla recipe linked to above.
Keywords: Healthy, Slow Cooked, Tender
You may also like...
- Gluten-Free Crock Pot Recipes Index
- Easy Taco Soup with Ranch Dressing Crockpot Recipe
- The Best Crock Pot Pinto Beans and/or Black Beans Recipe
- Healthy, Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Chimichanga Recipe
- Dairy-Free Crock Pot Recipes Index
- Paleo Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- Instant Pot Thai Basil Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk Recipe
- Clean Eating Crock Pot Recipes Index