This is the best ever Keto mac and cheese recipe. Mac and cheese is a real, comfort food for a lot of people and now you can have it even on a Keto diet. I love how creamy and rich this is. It sure doesn’t taste like healthy food! Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is my new favorite side dish. Well, maybe except spicy butternut squash soup. I had that for dinner the other day and I LOVED it. So easy and turns out great every time. Guess I’ll have to post that recipe soon . . .
One of the things that’s great about this recipe is that it gets me to eat more veggies. I mean, I love veggies and I’m eating way more now than I used to, but I really get tired of the same vegetables over and over. When I eat this stuff, I find myself eating tons of cauliflower, which is really good. Plus, this helps me not to miss pasta so much.
Here are some tips and tricks for this recipe:
- If you like your cauliflower to be more firm, start the cream sauce first and let it get warmed up and going for a few minutes before you add the cauliflower.
- If you want this thicker without having to cook it down for so long and make the cauliflower super soft, you can cook the sauce and the cauliflower separate. Start the cauliflower when the sauce is almost done. I like to cook my cauliflower in the Instant Pot for 3-10 minutes on steam, depending on how soft I want it. Then – this is important – drain the cauliflower really, really well before you add it to the cheese sauce. Otherwise, it will water down the sauce and make the cauliflower and the sauce taste watery.
- If your pan isn’t ovenproof, you can just put a lid on it and let the cheese melt on the stovetop with the heat turned off.
- You could totally add bacon to this, which would make it, even more, Keto, and would add a lot of flavors. After all, bacon is a cornerstone meat on the Keto diet!
- For extra flavor, use sharp cheddar and add some cayenne pepper. Or try jalapeños, sun-dried tomatoes, Italian seasoning or Parmesan cheese.
- You could also add a few tablespoons of cream cheese to make it a bit richer and thicker.
- Instead of cauliflower, you could use spaghetti squash or zoodles .
I hope you like this mac and cheese as much as I do! I would love to hear if you try this and like it. Please comment below and let me know how it turned it.
You may also like these recipes:
Keto Mac and Cheese Recipe
I love how creamy and rich this Mac and Cheese is. It sure doesn’t taste like healthy food!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 1 Head Cauliflower (I used a fairly large head, about the equivalent of 4–5 cups)
- 1 tablespoon Grass-fed butter or bacon fat
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Yellow Mustard
- 12 ounces Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- Break the head of cauliflower into very small florets, discarding the thick stems. You should have 4-5 cups of cauliflower florets, in the end.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a large, deep sided saute pan. Add the butter, water, cream ,salt, garlic powder and mustard.
- Bring to a simmer over medium/high heat. Cover and let cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender.
- If the liquid is still thin, let it cook, uncovered, until it has reduced to the consistency of heavy cream.
- Add 2/3 of the shredded cheese to the cauliflower and toss into the sauce until it melts and sauce becomes creamy. Taste sauce and add more salt, if needed.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and a grating of fresh black pepper. Assuming your pan is oven proof, set it under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve immediately. Sauce will thicken slightly upon standing.
Keywords: creamy, rich, healthy, Keto