I am not sure if Paleo chocolate cake can get any better than this, folks! This recipe is fantastic! So delicious and light at the same time! You don’t have to feel super conscious when eating this cake. This would be a great recipe to use for a birthday party or any kind of gathering. People will be begging for more and more.
This Paleo chocolate cake is super moist and tender and full of rich, chocolate flavor. It is frosted with a decadent, silky smooth dark chocolate ganache. This recipe makes one 6″ cake, but if you’d like a 9″ cake instead then just times the ingredients by 1 and a 1/2.
Whenever I see a chocolate cake one of my all-time favorite movies come to mind! …. wait for it! Matilda! I have always wanted to do a reenactment of the chocolate cake scene; however, I know this is not realistic and would pretty much put me in a sugar coma. If you haven’t seen it – the principal makes Bruce eat an entire cake in front of all the students in the school during an assembly. It is pretty intense and epic! I highly recommend this 90’s movie!
Do you have any fond memories of chocolate cake? Special times you bonded over chocolate cake? I think chocolate cake brings people together! Our hope is that this paleo chocolate cake recipe will do just that for everybody and not just those that live a paleo lifestyle. Share your thoughts below and pictures when you make a chocolate cake we would love to hear from you!
Is this paleo chocolate cake recipe completely paleo? Well, that depends on who you ask. Some people say that dessert isn’t allowed on the paleo diet at all. But let’s get real – most people will find it very hard to eat a strict paleo diet right away. They need to be able to feel like there is something sweet they can eat.
Sure, this has questionable ingredients, like maple syrup and butter but they are way, way healthier than anything you will buy in a store. This recipe can be a great option when you need to bring a dessert to a group gathering or to a birthday party when you want something you can eat without totally going off your diet and something that “regular” people will enjoy too.
You may also like these recipes:Print
The Very Best Ever Paleo Chocolate Cake Recipe
This paleo chocolate cake is super moist and tender and full of rich, chocolate flavor. It is frosted with a decadent, silky smooth dark chocolate ganache. This recipe makes one 6″ cake. For a 9″ cake, times the ingredients by 1/2.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 70 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Paleo
For the Cake:
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 Cup Arrowroot Starch
- 2/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp Real Salt
- 7 Eggs(room temperature)
- 10 Tbl Butter (melted)
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 3/4 Cup + 2 Tbl Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Cup Canned Coconut Milk
For the Ganache:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottoms of two 6″ round baking pans with parchment circles. Grease and flour(use arrowroot or tapioca flour) the sides of the pan.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the coconut flour, arrowroot flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs together . Mix in the butter, vanilla, and maple syrup until smooth and well combined.
- Add half of the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix together well, until no lumps remain. Pour the rest of the egg mixture in and mix until smooth.
- Add the coconut milk and mix until smooth.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared pans, smoothing the tops out, making the sides of the batter higher then the center(this will help it to level out while cooking).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the pans and allow to finish cooling on the racks.
To make the ganache:
- Place the chocolate chips, coconut milk, and butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir and microwave again for 30 seconds. Whisk the melted ingredients together until smooth, microwaving for another 30 seconds, if needed. Let the ganache sit for about 45 minutes to set up a bit.
- When the ganache has thickened a bit and is ready for frosting, level the tops of your cakes with a serrated knife.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate and top it with about 1/2 C. of the ganache. Smooth the ganache over the top of the cake and top with the second cake layer. Frost the tops and sides of the cake with the remaining ganache.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- *The cake is easiest to frost when cold. After filling the cake with ganache and topping with the second layer, refrigerate it for 30 minutes before frosting the outside.
- *The ganache can also be chilled to help it set up faster. Just don’t leave it in the fridge for too long, and stir it at 5 minute intervals to keep the outside from solidifying. You want it to be thick, but spreadable.
Keywords: coconut flour, arrowroot starch, cocoa, eggs, chocolate chips, coconut milk, paleo chocolate cake