These Paleo brownies are just fudgy enough to be considered brownies but are fluffy enough to make you wonder if they really are Paleo. Plus, the secret ingredient of avocado really helps them to be extra moist, dense and healthy - but you'll never know it's in there!
Alright, I held off as long as I could. I needed a little bit of detoxing after the holiday baking fest, and I have eaten more than my fair share of salads and vegetables as of late, and honestly if feels great to get into some better eating habits over the past couple of weeks…but sure enough my cravings for baked goods and chocolate came roaring back (as I knew they would).
Which is fine. I completely believe that a healthy treat every once in a while is key to successful long-term weight loss, healthy lifestyle, and a healthy relationship with food…so I got to work and came up with these beauties.
I was inspired to come up with a nut-free brownie by my darling sister-in-law. She came to visit over Christmas, and I made all sorts of my delicious baked goods for all of our company to enjoy; unfortunately, she is allergic to nuts. Pretty much everything I made had nuts in it. That is when I realized I needed to come up with a delicious nut-free treat – challenge accepted!
Wow! I am so glad I did because these brownies are so dang yummy. They are not super fudgy, but they are still really good with a slightly fluffy texture (don’t worry, this is not chocolate cake – I believe there is a firm distinction between brownies and chocolate cake and these still qualify as brownies).
These also contain a secret hidden ingredient that makes them extra healthy and strangely delicious – Avocado! I have never baked with avocado, but I think I will try it more often. It adds some moistness and density to the brownies, and I promise, you won’t even taste the avocado. Trust me, I am not going to waste my time with brownies that taste like avocado, even though I LOVE avocado :).
These are also gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and Clean Eating. As always – my kind of brownie! I also think you'll love maple syrup as the sweetener. It has a deep, rich flavor and since it's natural sugar, my body can handle it so much better than almost any other sweetener.
I would love to know if you try these and what you think of them. Please comment below and let me know what you think!Print
These double chocolate brownies are a healthy, low calorie, and delicious treat that includes a secret ingredient. You won't be able to stop eating them!
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup arrowroot powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp Real Salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 medium avocado
- 6 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut milk from the carton (or if you don't need them to be nut-free, unsweetened almond milk. If not Paleo, dairy, rice, etc. will work)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Shift together the coconut flour, arrowroot powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder
- Blend together the avocado, maple syrup, and milk until smooth
- Add the avocado mixture, eggs, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar to the dry ingredients
- Mix until well combined and a batter is formed
- Stir in the dark chocolate chips
- Transfer to a well greased 8x8 baking dish (use cold coconut oil)
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
Keywords: double chocolate, healthy, homemade