Ok, I have to tell you that for a Paleo mac and cheese, I’m pretty excited about how this ‘cheese’ sauce turned out. It tastes like the real thing! Here is a summary of the steps of this “Paleo mac and cheese” Recipe:
Steam cauliflower using your favorite method. I love to use this to cook mine. If you don’t want to make Paleo mac and cheese, get your base ready, whether it be noodles or something else.
Cook the veggies and coconut milk in a saucepan
Blend the sauce and pour it over the steamed cauliflower
Watch this video and you’ll see how easy it is to make and how my kids love it – and I didn’t even bribe them to eat it for the video.
Watch on Youtube – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydqsvnRnhhg
Notes About This Paleo Mac and Cheese Recipe
Today have for you a kid-friendly childhood classic meal – Paleo mac and cheese recipe. You won’t even believe it is Paleo! Ok, I have to tell you that for a Paleo mac and cheese, I’m pretty excited about how this ‘cheese’ sauce turned out. I researched before I made this and found that most dairy-free mac and cheese recipes called for things like nutritional yeast flakes or cashews. What I came up with instead only used simple, easy to find ingredients…mostly veggies and coconut milk.
To make this Paleo mac and cheese recipe, you basically just sauté vegetables (including a little carrot to give it a cheesy color) and then cook them in coconut milk. After they are soft you puree them until smooth and then added an egg yolk to the hot puree. This turns it into a rich, velvety sauce that is probably as close to a cheese sauce as you can get without using any cheese.
But here’s the best part – it tastes so incredibly good – and I’m not just saying that. My 11-year-old son is really picky about eating vegetables. But he loves this sauce. Heck, I love it and joke that I would drink it, but really I would. You can put it on other vegetables, like broccoli, or if you eat clean, on a clean pasta, like spelt macaroni. My 7-year-old daughter actually thinks it’s cheese sauce. She was eating some the other day and I missed blending a piece of carrot and she was all mad that there was a piece of carrot in her cheese. She couldn’t figure out how a carrot got in her cheese sauce.
We have this regularly for dinner with some simple homemade chicken fingers. All we do is put some chicken tenders in a cold pan with some oil, then sprinkle Real Salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, paprika and a flour of your choice, such as einkorn for clean eating or arrowroot starch for Paleo. Then we turn on the pan and cook it until each side is golden brown. It’s a good compliment to the Paleo mac and cheese.
I am excited I can now enjoy a true Paleo mac and cheese recipe that has the classical taste with it. It is also a lot healthier too – you don’t have to feel guilty for eating this one! How do you like to eat this recipe? Do you think it tastes cheesy?
If you like this Paleo mac and cheese, you may also like these recipes:Print
Paleo Mac and Cheese Recipe
Paleo Mac and Cheese Recipe. The sauce is so good. It’s basically blended up vegetables and coconut milk. This recipe puts it over cauliflower but I love it over noodles, broccoli, etc. and I don’t feel guilty because it has lots of veggies and no dairy.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Paleo
FOR THE CAULIFLOWER:
FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE:
FOR THE CAULIFLOWER:
- Option 1 – Cut the stalks and leaves off of the cauliflower and break it into small pieces. Add the cauliflower to an Instant Pot with one cup of water and set it to manual on steam for 10 minutes.
- Option 2 – Cut the stalks and leaves off of the cauliflower and break it into small pieces. Add the cauliflower to a large sauté pan as well as the 2 T. butter, ½ t. salt, and water. Place on medium/high heat and cover with a lid. Let the cauliflower stead inside the pan for about 5 minutes, until mostly tender. Check the water levels every few minutes to make sure that it doesn’t all evaporate. When almost tender, remove the lid and let the cauliflower sauté for a minute or two, or until lightly caramelized in spots. Turn heat off, cover, and keep warm until ready to toss with the cheese sauce.
FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE:
- Heat the 2 T. butter in a saucepan over medium/high heat. Add the squash, carrot, onion, garlic powder, mustard, and salt to the melted butter.
- Sauté for 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add the can of coconut milk to the saucepan and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the coconut milk has reduced by 2/3 and is thick.
- Pour the vegetables and coconut milk into a blender and puree until very, very smooth. Immediately add an egg yolk to the puree and blend well. The hot puree will cook the egg which will thicken the sauce and give it a rich texture.
- Check seasonings and add more salt or pepper to taste.
- Pour over the hot cauliflower and toss to coat.
The nutrition label is calculated using option 1 for the cauliflower since that’s what I usually do.
Keywords: cauliflower, squash, carrots, coconut milk, Paleo Mac and Cheese