This is the best quick and easy spelt naan recipe and it’s yeast-free too. It takes about one-third less time to make without the yeast.
I love this Clean eating naan bread recipe so much. It is a family favorite for sure. We have been trying to eat out less often and one of our favorite places to eat is our local Indian food restaurant. It is a new discovery for us. I didn’t think the children would be as favorable as they are to curry and other dishes. We love making it at home now and this recipe is great to go with it to complete the meal.
I really could not believe how easy this einkorn naan recipe was to make. I decided to try making a version without yeast and was not expecting it to work well with all of the whole grain flours I was using. Wrong! It was amazing.
This version takes probably a third of the time to make as opposed to a version with yeast in it. Plus it had the softest texture and a great taste.
Tips and Tricks
- If you can’t find Ghee (clarified butter is the same thing) then for the skillet part you may use an oil like avocado and then for eating use regular butter, olive oil, etc.
- You could totally use this as a type of pizza dough if you would like.
- I haven’t tried the recipe myself with other types of flours or different combinations of flours but it should more or less work. The texture will just be a bit different and you will probably need a different amount of water and/or yogurt. You would just need to always mix until you have a dough that is not sticky but not overly dry.
- These freeze great. Either put parchment paper between each one and put in a freezer gallon bag and take one at a time out or put them in a big pile and they will freeze together. To unthaw, put the entire bag on the counter, open the bag a little so they don’t get soggy and let unthaw for an hour or so.
- My daughter loves to use these like a tortilla to make sandwiches with. Give it a try!
We have several recipes on our site you might enjoy eating along with this clean eating naan recipe. Including our Indian Saag Recipe, Simple Coconut Curry Chicken Recipe, or Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe.
You may also like these:
P.S. I'm in love with Etsy lately! Check out my favorite kitchen items to help me cook, clean and organize my kitchen!Print
Quick and Easy Einkorn and Spelt Naan Recipe
I love how fast this Clean Eating naan bread comes together since they don’t have yeast. They are really easy too.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: Clean Eating
- Sift together the einkorn flour, spelt flour, oat flour, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Place the yogurt and oil in the well and work into the flour with your fingers. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until a dough forms that is not sticky, but not overly dry, either.
- Dust your work surface with a little einkorn flour and knead your dough for 5 minutes. Dough should be smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a towel. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- When the dough is done resting, divide it into 8 equal pieces. Keep pieces covered as you work so that they do not dry out.
- Heat a frying pan or cast iron skillet to medium high. Keep a lid next to it.
- Roll a piece of dough gently with a rolling pin into a round about 1/4″ thick, sprinkling with a little chopped cilantro halfway through rolling. Dough does not need to be in a perfect circle.
- Brush the bottom of the dough with a little water. Brushing the water in the center of the dough, but not on the edges will help it bubble more. Place the dough, wet side down, in the middle of the hot pan and cover with the lid immediately. Cook for 30-35 seconds (dough should bubble a little in the middle, but if it doesn’t, that’s fine too). Remove the lid and drizzle 1 t. of ghee top of the dough and flip over. Cook for another 30 seconds and remove from the pan.
- Repeat with remaining pieces of dough.
- Brush with more ghee, if desired and sprinkle with a little garlic powder and salt. Serve immediately.
Keywords: Clean, Easy, Yeast-Free