This is the best ever taco pizza made with my spelt pizza dough with spicy marinara sauce. The crust is made with spelt flour, which is one of my favorite Clean flours.
I think you will be happy with how it is probably different from your regular pizza yet similar tasting similar to the food you regularly eat. I first tried taco pizza about 20 years ago when I was working for a lawyer and his wife suggested we get taco pizza from Pizza Hut.
I had never heard of such a thing. It's not on the menu, but apparently - at least at that time at that Pizza Hut in Casper, WY - they would make it for you on request. It was so good. I still don't understand why they don't make it a regular menu item.
I like to make this at home regularly because well, I don't like most pork meats. I don't like sausage, pepperoni or ham. Plus, those things really aren't all that healthy.
Plus, it's fun to have a variety of food. I think as a general rule, that ground beef is a lot healthier than the cured meats I mentioned above and, because of the spices, this has a lot of flavors so you don't miss the more fattening meats.
Plus, the biggest thing about this homemade taco pizza recipe is the FLAVOR. I mean, Hispanic food can be really delicious and, granted, this is very Americanized, but it's flavorful and has a lot of flavors going on in each bite.
Plus, it puts two of my children's favorite foods together = win-win. I mean, almost all children love pizza and tacos. What is your favorite type of pizza? I actually like Canadian bacon and pineapple - but even better is bacon and pineapple.
Bacon is one of the cuts of pork that I actually do love, especially if it's uncured. I think with Canadian bacon and pineapple you either love like or you hate it.
Oh, another variation of this recipe is to put shredded lettuce on top and some sort of dressing, like ranch, tomatillo ranch, salsa, tomatillo salsa, etc. I mean, really just make it how you like it. It doesn't have to be beautiful. It just has to taste good. Whatever you put on your pizza make sure you use this dough recipe.
Have you ever tried or even heard of taco pizza before? Please comment below and let me know.Print
I love this Clean Eating taco pizza made with spelt flour ! It's a lot healthier than pepperoni and my kids love it.
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (or oil of your choice)
- 2 tablespoon no sugar added applesauce. If you don’t have applesauce, add 2 Tbl. more of oil)
- 2 cups light spelt flour (can add up to half as whole spelt flour )
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Real Salt
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning or store-bought Clean taco seasoning
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup sliced olives
- 1 ½ cups colby jack cheese
- 1 small jar Clean classic marinara sauce or crushed tomatoes will do a pinch
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbl chili powder
- Cook ground beef in a skillet until browned all the way through
- Drain excess grease and add 1 packet of taco seasoning
- Prepare crust according to directions
- Prepare spicy marinara sauce by combining all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes
- Spread desired amount of marinara sauce on the crust
- Top with ground beef
- Sprinkle cheese on top of ground beef
- Top with tomatoes and olives
- Bake at 400 F for about 15 minutes
- Let water and yeast sit until yeast is foaming (about five minutes)
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Knead until it comes together
- Use a rolling pin to roll in a circle and place on pizza pan.
Keywords: Best, Spicy, healthy