My husband grew up in Idaho, where rhubarb is very common and grows like a weed. So when we put in our garden here in Utah, rhubarb and raspberries are the main thing he wanted. We had raspberries for at least 10 years, but my husband got tired of picking them for hours and hours, so when the tractor ran over them when we added on to our house, we decided to stop growing those. But he protected his rhubarb like a Father Hen. It doesn’t grow as well in Utah since it likes cooler weather, but we get enough to make a few of his favorite desserts, like this strawberry rhubarb ice cream.
So find a friend or two you would like to share this joy with and enjoy the recipe. Let us know what you think about it and what you would suggest to improve or send us pictures of you enjoying it!
My Natural Family
This ice cream is dairy free and so creamy. The strawberries and bananas make a sweet, flavorful ice cream and the rhubarb swirl gives the ice cream a sweet and tangy kick.
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 C. Strawberries, sliced
- 2 medium Bananas, very ripe, sliced
- 2 small Stalks Rhubarb, Chopped
- 1/4 C. Raw Honey or for Vegan, use a Vegan sweetener, such as agave
- 2/3 C. Canned Coconut Milk
- Lay the strawberry and banana sliced out on a parchment lined baking sheet, spacing so that the slices are not touching each other.
- Freeze overnight, or until firmly frozen.
- Place the chopped rhubarb and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Cover and let simmer on medium heat for about 10 minute, stirring occasionally. Rhubarb should break down and the mixture should be jam-like in consistency.
- Place the rhubarb mixture in a air-tight container and refrigerate overnight, or until cold.
- Place the frozen banana and strawberry slices in a high-speed blender and pulse until the fruit becomes "crumb-like" and breaks up into small pieces.
- Add the coconut milk and blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy. You may need to push the mixture back down several times until this happens.
- Scoop the ice cream into a bowl and stir in the rhubarb mixture, swirling it through the strawberry ice cream. Scoop into dishes and serve immediately.