You will love the flavor of this pork Keto chili Verde crock pot recipe. I love to get it made the night before and then start it cooking in the morning. This is a flavorful dish and tastes so good all on its own, but you could eat it with something else, depending on your diet.
I made this and brought it to my brother's wedding luncheon. We had about 10 different kinds of soup. This was a huge hit. My brother even told his wife what a good cook I am, which I thought was cool because I've cooked for him plenty of times, but apparently this dish really impressed him. I can't tell you what amazing depth of flavor this chili has.
It can be spicy if you want, or not so spicy. But, personally, I am NOT afraid of spice. For example, my neighbors are Mexican and invite us over for parties often and freak out every time I pour the hottest salsa on my tacos. But I LOVE all things spicy. Even my children like a medium amount of spice, which is pretty unusual for children.
One of the things I really like about this pork chili Verde crockpot soup is that you cut up a pork roast to make it. Basically, you make your own stew meat. Come to think of it - why can't you buy pork stew meat, like you can beef stew meat? It's not a common soup, so it's awesome to eat when you're sick and tired of the same thing. It is Paleo, but it's one of those kinds of meals that's easy to make Paleo and your guests or family will not even care it's Paleo.
You could make it on the stove top as well, just simmer everything in a covered pot on medium heat for 2 hours. You would need to add another 3 c. of chicken broth as well.
Please let me know if you try this pork chili Verde crock pot recipe. I would love to know if you love it as much as I do.
Here are some answers to some common questions about chili verde:
What is Verde?
Verde is a green sauce made with chili peppers, tomatillos, cilantro, onion, and garlic.
What does tomatillo sauce taste like?
Sometimes tomatillos are called jamberries or Mexican green tomatoes. They have a slightly herbal flavor and a tart fruity flavor. Most of the time they are used in making sauces and salsa.
Can you eat a raw tomatillo?
Raw tomatillos have a sharp-tasting flavor and can be a little acidic. When they are cooking their flavor tends to mellow making them taste a lot sweeter. You can eat them raw and if you do I suggest putting them in salads, dips, and salsa. You can also grill or roast them whole.Print
Pork Keto Chili Verde Crock Pot Recipe
This crock pot chili verde is so good all on it's own. You could make it on the stove top as well, just simmer everything in a covered pot on medium heat for 2 hours. You would need to add another 3 c. of chicken broth as well.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 360 minutes
- Total Time: 405 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Paleo
- 2 lbs Tomatillos (husks removed)
- 2 Anaheim Peppers
- 2 Tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 lb Pork Roast (cut into 1" cubes)
- 2 Yellow Onions (cut into thick chunks)
- 5 Cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp Ground Oregano
- 1 Tbl Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Coarse Real Salt
- 1 Bunch Fresh Cilantro (bottom stems cut off)
- 4 oz Can Green Chilis
- 2 ½ C Chicken Broth
- Fresh Lime (to garnish)
- Avocado (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tin foil. Place the tomatillos (halve them if they are large) and the poblano or anaheim peppers on the lined baking sheet and place them on the top rack of the oven.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until the tops are charred.
- While the tomatillos and peppers are roasting, heat the olive oil in a frying pan over high heat.
- Add the cubes of pork to the oil and brown on all sides. Place the pork in a slow cooker.
- Reduce the heat to medium/high and add the onion. Saute for 2 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic, oregano, cumin, paprika, chili powder and salt and saute for another minute. Add the chicken broth, bring to a simmer and pour the mixture over the pork in the slow cooker.
- When the tomatillos and peppers have finished roasting, remove them from the oven. Remove the charred skin from the peppers and place them and the tomatillos in a blender along with the cilantro and green chilis. Blend until smooth.
- Pour over the pork in the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Check seasonings before serving and add more salt, if needed.
Keywords: Slow Cooker, Stove Top, Flavorful