So, after giving it a try and lots of research I have a homemade gluten-free granola bar recipe for you. This recipe is for almond butter and chocolate chip granola bars. Making something like homemade gluten-free granola bars never even occurred to me until recently.
Where do you start? I mean, that is something you buy at the store and have handy for a quick breakfast or snack. Granola bars can be very healthy – in theory – but have you ever thought about how many unhealthy ingredients are in them to preserve them?
These granola bars are packed with protein and taste like a cookie. Both rolled oats and rice cereal are used to add a little variety in texture. One recipe makes about 16 tall granola bars if packed into a 9×9 pan. For thinner granola bars, use a larger pan, like a 9×13.
Another cool thing I like about this recipe is that you just make them in a big pan and cut them after you cook them. Duh! Granola bars sounded so hard until I realized that I didn’t have to individually form each granola bar.
Here are some tips and tricks for this recipe:
- I haven’t tried these with quinoa puffs, but I’m sure they would work great, since they pretty much have the same texture as crisp rice cereal, but are just way healthier.
- You could make them healthier by leaving out the chocolate chips and not drizzling them with chocolate
- You could make them fun and colorful by putting mini M & M’s in them
I hope that everyone will enjoy this recipe, even those who do not need to eat gluten-free. They are healthier for you than the bars in the store and taste even better (if I do say so myself). What would you change about the recipe if you would change anything? Try out our recipe and leave comments below and share it with your friends and family!
You may also like these recipes:Print
Gluten-Free Granola Bar Recipe with Almond Butter and Chocolate Chips
These granola bars are protein packed and taste like a cookie. Both rolled oats and rice cereal are used to add a little variety in texture.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free
- 2 3/4 Cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (not quick cook or instant)
- 1 1/2 Cups Crisp Rice Cereal (gluten-free)
- 1 Cup Chopped Almonds (toasted if you like)
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup Almond Butter
- 1/2 t Real Salt (only necessary if using unsalted almond butter)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (packed)
- 1 t Vanilla
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips (divided)
- 1 t Butter
- Line a 9×9 pan with plastic wrap or tin foil. Lightly grease.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, rice cereal and chopped almonds. Set aside.
- Place the coconut oil, almond butter, salt, coconut milk, honey, and brown sugar in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat, whisking until smooth. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the mixture over the oat/cereal and stir until everything is well combined. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add 3/4 C. of the chocolate chips to the mixture and stir in.
- Place the oat mixture in the prepared pan and press in firmly, keeping the top level.
- Refrigerate the pan for 2 hours, or until firmly set.
- Remove the granola mixture from the pan and peel away the plastic wrap or tin foil. Slice into bars.
- Place the remaining 1/4 C. of chocolate chips and the butter in a small, microwaveable bowl and heat on high at 20 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted. Place melted chocolate in a piping bag and pipe on top of sliced granola bars.
- Store in an airtight container.
Keywords: healthy, packed, easy