You are going to love this triple layer old fashioned gluten-free strawberry cake from scratch recipe. It's full of all of my favorites, strawberries and cream. OK. I know this strawberry cake recipe isn't quick & easy, as most of the recipes on my blog. But come on! Look at this cake! It is so fun to make for a special occasion. It's so pretty and fancy and light. I love it all.
I love the moist cake and the light "frosting." Of course, I hate normal white frosting, so I'm probably not the best judge of frosting, but this isn't really frosting. It's basically strawberry whipped cream. It's hard for me not to eat the whole bowl before I get it on the cake.
This Old Fashioned Strawberry Cake finds strawberry flavor in the cake layers, the strawberry whipped cream and the pile of fresh strawberries on top. The whipped cream that covers this cake can be sweetened if you like, but it is not necessary since the cake itself is very sweet.
Want to make someone feel really special? Make this for their birthday. I made this for my 12-year-old daughter's birthday. That's the age where you don't want a princess cake anymore and she's a little baker herself and I knew she would appreciate the extra effort I made to make this cake for her. Since she's the oldest and generally very independent and well-behaved, she tends to get left out. So I like to look for little ways to make her feel special.
She loved her birthday cake - and I just know anyone special you make this Old Fashioned Strawberry Cake for will love it too! Please let me know below in the comments if you make this Old Fashioned Strawberry Cake and tell me how it turns out and who you made it for.
I love to make this strawberry cake that's gluten-free for special birthdays. It looks so fancy and tastes SO GOOD! Everyone is always really impressed.
For the Cake
- 18 Ounces Pureed Strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Egg Whites
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- ¼ Cup Whole Milk
- ¼ Cup Strawberry Jam
- 1 Cup Coconut Oil (or Canola Oil)
- Food Coloring (if desired)
- 2 ¼ Cups Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- 1 ¼ Cups Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Real Salt
- 4 teaspoon Baking Powder
For The Topping
- 3 Cups Heavy Cream (can sweeten, if desired, but not necessary)
- 1 ½ Cups Strawberries (stems removed and quartered)
- 2 Tbl Sugar
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8” round baking pans (or three 6” round baking pans).
- Add 1 cup of the strawberry puree to a large mixing bowl (reserve the rest for the topping) along with the eggs, egg whites, vanilla, milk, jam, oil, and several drops of food coloring, if using. Whisk until smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, stirring just until combined.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Drop the pans once on the counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes for 8” pans, and 40-45 minutes for 6” pans. Cake is done when center is firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove cakes and let cool for 10 minutes in pans. Remove from pans and let completely on a wire rack, or even in the fridge.
For The Topping
- Place the whipped cream in a large mixing bowl and add ½ cup of the remaining strawberry puree. Fold together gently, until the puree has been fully distributed through the cream.
- Place the quartered strawberries in a bowl with the sugar and any strawberry puree that remains. Toss together and let sit for 5 minutes, then toss again.
- Frost the cake layers with the strawberry cream, spreading about ½” thick layer of cream in between each layer of cake. Make a slight well in the cream on top of the cake and spoon the glazed strawberries into it. Serve!
Keywords: gluten-free, fancy, healthy