This Paleo coconut flour bread recipe is good for sandwiches. It looks and tastes so similar to honey whole wheat bread, thanks to the honey and flax meal.
Homemade bread is always one of my favorite smells to come home to. I had a roommate that would always make her own bread instead of buying store-bought bread and it was amazing! We always had fresh-baked bread that semester! Now that I don't eat "normal" bread I have been on a mission to find/create the best recipes for good bread.
I hope that you enjoy the recipe and let me know what you think. The flax meal gives the bread a somewhat chewy texture while the arrowroot starch helps hold it together (which is highly unusual for a Paleo bread to hold together like this).
One of the things I love about bread is how versatile it is. Obviously, you can use it for a sandwich, but there are other good things you can use this for, such as a side dish with your dinner, for stuffing/dressing, as a snack on its own, as toast with almond butter spread on it hot so it half melts, topped with butter or coconut oil and broiled, to make a breakfast egg sandwich, and the list goes on and on.
Is Paleo bread the same as gluten-free?
One of the main criteria of a Paleo diet is that it has to be gluten-free. So to answer the question, Paleo bread is gluten-free but it is also dairy-free and contains no processed sugar. So it may be made with honey or maple syrup instead of sugar.
Is sourdough bread Paleo?
Sourdough is made with a starter instead of yeast or some other agent to make it rise like soda or baking powder is a cake. It is possible to find a sourdough bread recipe that is Paleo. They aren't really common and difficult to find a good one. I found one that is a Keto sourdough baguette recipe that you might like. This recipe is also Paleo. The Keto diet is very similar to Paleo but without any sweeteners. If you want other Paleo sourdough bread recipes just google it and see what you get.
Can you eat any bread on the Paleo diet?
Absolutely not! Any bread made with any wheat flour (such as all-purpose flour, whole wheat, rye, spelt, einkorn, barley or more) are not allowed on the Paleo diet but there are tons of recipes for bread that are Paleo. They are made with other flours such as almond flour , coconut flour, and cassava flour. There is a relatively new flour called Paleo flour which is a combination of about 3 flours that I think is excellent.
What does Paleo bread have in it?
It is made with grain-free flours as I mentioned just above. They are usually made with honey in place of sugar but other than that they are pretty normal. Look at some of the recipes below and you can see exactly what they are made with.
Is Ezekiel bread on the Paleo diet?
Ezekiel bread is made with sprouted grains. No grains are allowed on the Paleo diet. A person that follows a strict Paleo diet will not eat Ezekiel bread. However, some people that don't follow a strict Paleo diet may allow Ezekiel bread in their diet on a limited basis.
How do you like to use your Paleo bread? I would love to know how you use this. Please comment below.
You may also like these recipes:Print
Paleo coconut flour bread Recipe
This Paleo bread looks and tastes so similar to a honey wheat bread, thanks to the honey and flax meal. The flax meal gives the bread a somewhat chewy texture while the arrowroot starch helps hold it together.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 65 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: Paleo
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (use coconut flour) a standard 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine together the coconut flour, arrowroot starch, flax meal, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the egg yolks, melted coconut oil, coconut milk, and honey.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Mix together the dry and wet ingredients(not including the egg whites).
- Add half of the egg whites and stir in to combine.
- Add the remaining egg whites and very gently fold in to the mixture. Mixture will be thick as you first start folding the egg white in, but keep carefully folding and it will become smooth. Take care to not over-mix.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle a little flax meal over the top of the batter and bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove from pan.
Keywords: Homemade, Healthy, chewy