These granola Paleo muffins are seriously the best choice to kick-start the day and are the perfect healthy on-the-go breakfast. The dough is mainly made from almond flour and thanks to the last-minute addition of the baking soda and folded-in whipped egg whites, the muffins have a great volume and a fluffy texture. The crunchy bite comes from the star ingredient – a thick layer of sticky Paleo granola and honey.
I originally got the idea for this recipe because I’ve been wanting something for breakfast I could make ahead of time and grab and because I had this Paleo granola sitting in my pantry and I didn’t know what to do with it.
It seemed too expensive to just eat plain and weird with no milk on it or on yogurt. Plus, I wanted more than just a little granola for my breakfast. So I thought I could make muffins with granola in them, but then I realized that would make them not crunchy if they were inside the muffins.
Then I thought the granola could be good sprinkled on it, but I figured I couldn’t get enough granola to stay on top to make it worth it. Then I came up with the idea of mixing the granola with honey to make them sticky so the granola would not only taste better, but a lot more of it could fit on the muffins. You might want to use my grain-free granola recipe to put on top of the muffins.
I think these muffins turned out delish. I’m excited to share them with you today. Please comment below and let me know what you think about them!
You may also like these recipes:Print
Almond Flour Paleo Muffins Recipe with Granola Topping
Try these almond flour muffins today. You’ll love the light texture of the muffins combined with the crunchy topping and are wonderful to make ahead of time for a quick breakfast-on-the-go.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Preheat the oven to 325 F (160 C). Lightly grease a 6-hole silicone muffin tin.
- In a small saucepan, melt the palm shortening or ghee then pour in a bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, tapioca and salt.
- Separate the eggs, putting the whites in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Place the yolks in the bowl with the melted butter, add in the maple syrup, vanilla extract and lemon juice and whisk to combine.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the bowl with the flours and whisk until you get a smooth batter without lumps.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the eggs whites until soft peaks form. Stir the baking soda into the batter and then, using a spatula, beat in one-third of the whipped egg whites to lighten the batter. Gently fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Pour 2 Tablespoons of batter into each hole and bake for about 35 minutes or until a wooden skewer poked into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- While the muffins are baking, in a bowl combine the granola and honey until the mixture is very sticky. Set aside.
- Leave to set for about 5 minutes, then take the muffins out from the tin and place them on a cooling rack.
- Using a knife, spread some honey over the top of a muffin and straight after, top with granola mixture until you cover all the top of the muffin. Use more honey if needed! Repeat this operation for each muffin. Enjoy!
Recipe inspired by My Paleo Patisserie
Keywords: light, crunchy, make ahead