This gluten-free chocolate cake recipe is made with quinoa and zucchini and has a brown sugar streusel topping instead of frosting. Our house is full of huge zucchini. Literally, my husband checked on it one night and it was too small so he went out the next morning and it was huge!
So I figured the best thing to make with it would be a gluten-free chocolate cake recipe. I chose to use quinoa flour because it’s grain-free and is great for baking because it lends a subtle, nutty flavor to the cake. The blended zucchini is awesome in this quinoa chocolate cake recipe because it makes it moist and light – and a little healthy.
I love the brown sugar streusel because it was REALLY easy to do and it looks really fancy. Everyone who has tried the cake has loved it! Plus, it’s a lot easier to make than frosting. I mean, it’s not like frosting is all THAT hard, but this is even easier and I think it’s better because you get a combination of different flavors.
Fortunately, zucchini is easy to find all year in the grocery store and it’s relatively inexpensive. I also like the idea that we’re eating something that’s healthy. After all, eating this cake helps you get some vegetables in your life. But the real reason to use zucchini is it makes the cake moist – and you don’t need as much oil or flour either, which is a huge bonus in my book.
Blended zucchini just means to very roughly chop your zucchini then throw it in your blender and blend until it’s like a soup. You could probably get away with just grating it. Blending it is faster and easier and ensures there aren’t pieces of zucchini someone could see. Please let me know how this gluten-free chocolate cake recipe turns out for you.
You may also like these recipes:
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Recipe with Zucchini & Brown Sugar Streusel
The blended zucchini is awesome in this quinoa chocolate cake recipe because it makes it moist and light – and a little healthy. I love the brown sugar streusel because it was REALLY easy to do and it looks really fancy.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free
- 1/2 Cup Butter (can substitute applesauce )
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 2 Cups Quinoa Flour
- 3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Non-Aluminum Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Real Salt
- 2 Cups Blended Zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9X13-inch pan with cold coconut oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer (handheld or stand mixer), cream together the butter, oil and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix. Add 1/2 of the milk; mix. Add another 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Add the remaining milk and mix followed by the last of the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Stir in the blended zucchini.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the pecans and chocolate chips. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of everything.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs (don’t overbake!).
- Let cool completely before serving. This cake tastes best at room temperature (and is great the next day, too!).
Keywords: quinoa flour, cocoa, zucchini, Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake