This is one of my personal favorite chicken recipes. The sun-dried tomatoes add a lot of flavor and the chicken turns out so juicy and tender. It is a versatile dish that can be made for gathering or just for one or a couple of people. It’s actually pretty impressive for company.
If you haven’t ever had sun-dried tomatoes, it’s hard to explain the flavor, but they are really concentrated and really do taste like the sun. You can actually dry them yourself by putting them in the sun for a few days until all the moisture is gone from them. They taste a lot better that way than if you just put them in the dehydrator. It’s similar to dried apples. If you’ve ever had apples dried in the sun, then you will never like dried apples that haven’t dried in the sun.
You may be wondering about substitutions or additions. Many of the readers have used boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts and they love it (you may need to adjust cooking time). There are also quite a few things you can add and you can read through the comments to see what others have done.
This recipe uses canned coconut milk, but any type of milk will do, including cream, if you eat that sort of thing. What is your favorite clean eating chicken recipe? You can check out my other original clean eating recipes here. If you want more healthy chicken recipes, check out some of these popular posts on my blog:
- Join my Paleo Recipes Facebook group
- Join my weekly Paleo Recipes Email Newsletter
- Follow my Pinterest Paleo Recipes board
- View my Paleo recipes index
My Natural Family
This chicken was amazing. The clean eating/dairy free aspect doesn't change the quality or taste whatsoever. So good. There is about 15-20 minutes of prep work, but after that it cooks in the oven and is fall off the bone tender.
15 minPrep Time
75 minCook Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
- 1/4 C. Unmodified Potato Starch or Tapioca Starch or (Corn Starch if you don't eat Paleo)
- 1 T. Coarse Real Salt
- 1 t. Freshly Ground Pepper
- 8 Chicken thighs, bone-in, skin removed
- 3 T. Olive Oil, divided
- 1 Yellow Onion, Sliced thinly
- 3/4 C. Sliced Sun-dried Tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 T. Garlic, minced
- 1 t. Italian Seasoning (oregano, thyme, parsley)
- Large Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Can (13.5 oz.) Coconut Milk
- 1 C. Chicken Stock or Broth
- Basil, shredded, to top
- Mix together the potato or tapioca starch, salt, and pepper in a medium sized bowl. Toss the chicken thighs in the mixture until fully coated.
- Heat 2 T. of the Olive Oil in a large oven-proof frying pan or ceramic coated dutch oven. Add the chicken, four pieces at a time, and brown on each side. When the chicken is all browned, remove it and set it aside.
- Add the remaining 1 T. of oil to the pan and heat to medium/high. Add the sliced onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, Italian Seasoning, and red pepper and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Add the coconut milk and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken back into the sauce, scooping the onions and tomatoes over the top of the chicken. Try to fit the chicken in a single layer, if possible.
- Cover pan with a lid(make sure it is oven safe) and place it in the oven. Cook for 45 minutes at 400 degrees. After 45 minutes, reduce the heat to 300 and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with shredded basil just before serving.
Check out this Paleo chicken recipe on Instagram:
Did you make this recipe? Take a photo and post on Instagram using hashtag @mynaturalfamily and if we like it, we'll add your Instagram post at the bottom of this page!
Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Chicken. I may have overdone it with the "foodography" (especially since I'm a complete amateur with an iPhone) but this recipe (taken from the blog mynaturalfamily.com) is to colorful to not take glamour food shots. Lol. #cleanliving #health #paleolifestyle #paleo #paleomom #momgonepaleo #paleofood #paleoeats #cleandiet #cleaneats #cleanfood #amazing