Just to warn you, this recipe doesn’t taste exactly like what you will get at a Chinese restaurant. It’s simplified and Americanized. I think you will be pleasantly surprised though at how delicious it actually is though.
Here are some ideas for substitutions and adaptations:
- I often leave out the red and green bell peppers if I don’t have them or don’t feel like cutting them up or eating them and it tastes fine without them.
- I personally don’t think the onions are optional. I LOVE how they soak up the sauce and the flavor they give the dish.
- This recipe goes faster and smoother if you pre-prep everything, because it cooks up fast and if you don’t have the next step ready, you could easily burn it. At a minimum, look ahead while cooking and make sure you have the next step prepped before you go off and put laundry in, or something like that. (Um. . . just a wee bit of personal experience with this advice. In fact, this is a good meal not to leave the kitchen at all while it’s cooking. Trust me. This sauce when it’s burnt is not the best . . .)
- Oh, another thing from personal experience is to make sure you use a non-stick skillet so the breading doesn’t stick to the pan. I’m sure a Wok would be great too.
- The recipe calls for coconut aminos, which are the best for this recipe. But when I don’t have those, I use balsamic vinegar and quite like it. If you aren’t on any particular diet, soy sauce works well too.
Please let me know if you make this Paleo cashew chicken recipe and if you make any changes or substitutions to the recipe.
This easy roasted vegetables recipe is my #1 way to cook vegetables. I’m obsessed and you will be too. Try it with any recipe.
You may also like these recipes:
This cashew chicken recipe only takes 20 minutes to make and is sweet and tangy with a crunch from the cashews. I love how it uses ingredients I already have. My children love this Paleo chicken!
- 4 tablespoons Coconut Oil, divided
- 2 pounds Chicken Tenders, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons Arrowroot Starch (or cornstarch if you don't do Paleo)
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, cut into strips
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, cut into strips
- 1 Onion, cut into thick cubes
- 1/2 cup Coconut Aminos (or balsamic vinegar or soy sauce if you don't want it to be Paleo or Clean)
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Vinegar (or any white vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Minced Ginger, or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup Honey (or sugar or maple syrup)
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 cup Cashew Halves
- 1/2 cup Sliced Green Onion
Heat 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil in a large saute pan over medium/high heat. Place the chicken and arrowroot powder in a bowl and toss until chicken is coated. Add the chicken to the hot pan of oil and saute until the chicken is golden on all sides, stirring every 20 seconds or so.
Remove the chicken and set aside in a bowl. Place the pan back on the heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
Add the bell peppers and onion to the pan and saute for 4-5 minutes, or until onion is translucent and peppers have begun to soften. Add the chicken back in to the pan and mix in with the vegetables.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut aminos, vinegar, garlic, ginger, honey, red pepper, and salt.
Pour the sauce into the pan and toss with the chicken and vegetables. Bring sauce to a boil and cook for 1-2 more minutes, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened. Stir in the cashews and 3/4 of the green onions.
Remove from heat. Sprinkle the remaining green onions over the top of the chicken and serve over cauliflower rice.
Read Reviews, Check Prices or Learn More About the Products Used in This Recipe*Please note that most of these links are affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase, you will receive the same price, but I will receive a little money for referring you to the product. This helps keep this blog free for you. I truly appreciate you supporting my blog.
My Favorite Nonstick Skilletthis pan for everything else.
Bob's Red Mill - Thrive Market
Bob's Red Mill - Amazon
Anthony's - Amazon
Bob's Red Mill - Vitacost
Y.S. Eco Bee Farms
Red Pepper Flakes
Coarse Real Salt - Amazon
Terrasoul - Amazon
Thrive Market - Thrive Market
NOW - Vitacost