I make this instant pot potato salad recipe with smashed Yukon Gold potatoes all the time. I always volunteer to make this for family parties when it's pot luck because it is so easy to make and everyone loves it.
I love the texture of this salad because the potatoes are the perfect texture in no time at all. Then I roughly smash Yukon gold potatoes and dress them with homemade mayo. sauce. You won't be able to stop eating it!
My family had a Labor Day BBQ planned for yesterday and it was a bring your own meat and a side sort of thing. I hate to bring your own meat things. It's hard with kids. They always want what someone else brings.
It's easy to just bring hot dogs or pick up take out. But I told my husband I was really in the mood for something good and I was willing to put forth a little more effort to get it.
We ended up making smoked pork shoulder roast, this potato salad, coleslaw, and Boston baked beans. And it all turned out so, so good. Sure, we were cooking for several hours. But it was the kind of cooking we enjoyed. We spent time talking about each recipe and figuring out exactly what would be the best and just enjoyed our day off together. I basically turned in to a perfect day where we focused on the things that really matter in life, like family and good food.
The pork roast turned out really good, but we ate it before we had a chance to take a photo of it. We didn't have enough time to smoke it all day, so we smoked it for 4 hours and then finished it off in the Instant Pot for about 45 minutes while we were driving to the picnic.
Yes. You heard that right. We have an adaptor we plug into our car and we can plug in one regular plug. So we've used it for our Instant Pot or crockpot several times. It comes in really handy when our food isn't quite ready, but we need to leave to a family party so we'll be on time. By the time we get there, the food is all done. Or, it's a good way to keep things warm if they are already cooked.
I've made potato salad a lot. Seems like I volunteer to make it a lot. Why? Well, because I like mine the best and it's not very hard to make, especially in the Instant Pot. One of the best parts is the homemade mayo. It's so easy, cheap and good. You'll never buy store-bought again.
Here are some tips and tricks:
- It's important to cut the potatoes into cubes and not put them whole in the Instant Pot so they will cook as evenly as possible.
- Also, do your best to get the chunks and uniform as possible so they cook evenly.
- Feel free to add or take away ingredients to suit your taste. It's really good with lots of pickles and a little extra pickle juice.
Please let me know if you try this potato salad and what you think. Do you mash the potatoes or leave them as chunks? Have you ever tried potato with Yukon gold potatoes before? Now that I've tried it, I'll never use russets again.Print
I love the texture of this potato salad because the potatoes come out the perfect texture in no time at all. Then roughly smash yukon gold potatoes and dress them with a homemade mayo. sauce. You won't be able to stop eating it!
Instant Pot Ingredients
- 3 ⅓ Pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 Tbl White Wine Vinegar (or vinegar of your choice)
- 4 Cups Cold Water
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 ½ tsp Real Salt
- 1 Cup Homemade Mayo
- 3 Tbl Yellow Mustard
- 2 Pickles (chopped)
- 1 Green Onion (chopped)
- Dill (to taste)
- Green Onion
- Real Salt
- Wash and cut the potatoes into one-inch cubes. I don't peel them because the yukon gold skins are so mild, you don't even notice they are there.
- Put all the Instant Pot ingredients in the Instant Pot with the eggs on top.
- Put on manual, low pressure for 1 minute then let it go off pressure by itself (takes about half an hour total). (No. This is not a mistake. Really set it for 1 minute.)
- Carefully remove the lid.
- Check the cubes to make sure they are done. If not, leave in the hot water for a few more minutes.
- Immediately put the eggs in ice cold water and drain the potatoes in a colander.
- After the potatoes cool and eggs cool, add the potatoes to a large bowl and gently smash the potatoes until they are lightly smashed. Think smashed, not mashed.
- Cut up the eggs in small pieces and add to the bowl.
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients to the bowl and fold them in.
- Taste and adjust to your preferences. I often end up adding more mayo. because I like it extra creamy and the potatoes soak up quite a bit over time.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour, and up to 24 hours before serving. Top with optional toppings before serving.
Keywords: Perfect Texture, Easy, Yummy
You may also like...
- Gluten Free BBQ Recipes and Ideas - Get the Grill Fired Up!
- Keto Cauliflower Potato Salad Recipe
- Greek Yogurt Coleslaw Recipe
- Paleo Chicken Fajita Salad with Vinaigrette Recipe
- Healthy Instant Pot Recipes
- Paleo Coleslaw Recipe
- Perfect, Baked Paleo Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
- Lemon Parmesan Garlic Roasted Potatoes Recipe