This Paleo Beef Stew Slow Cooker Recipe is simple to make and can be tossed in the slow cooker cook all day while you do your tasks. This stew gets a special touch from parsnips. I wanted to keep it looking traditional, so I swapped out potatoes for parsnips. My The nice thing is that they give the stew a little sweetness, almost as if you had used a wine in the broth.
This is Paleo Beef Stew Slow Cooker recipe is simple to make and is a good comfort food for someone living a Paleo lifestyle. And if you don’t Paleo, I still encourage you to try this recipe with the parsnips, but maybe that’s just because I personally think ANYTHING is better than potatoes.
My grandpa was a potato farmer and one of my uncles still is and apparently, the love of potatoes was not passed on to me. They are just about my least favorite food in the world. I don’t even like regular fries or potato chips. And I just love how you aren’t supposed to eat white potatoes on the Paleo diet because I have a good excuse not to have to eat them.
This Paleo Beef Stew Slow Cooker recipe is great because it can be tossed in the slow cooker and cook all day while you do your tasks and then have a fantastic meal at the end of the day. You can cook it on high for 6 hours or on low 8-9. These two options provide some flexibility in your preparing dinner.
I love how good this tastes and it is so simple to make. It has your meat and vegetables in there already so you don’t need a ton of food to go with it on the side.
If you like this Paleo Beef Stew Slow Cooker Recipe, you may also like these recipes:Print
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
This stew gets a special touch from parsnips. I wanted to keep it looking traditional, so I swapped out potatoes for parsnips. My husband had no idea, haha. The nice thing is that they give the stew a little sweetness, almost as if you had used a wine in the broth.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 420 minutes
- Total Time: 440 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Paleo
- 2 Tbl Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb Stew Meat (beef cubed)
- 2 Large Parsnips (peeled and cut into a large dice (use favorite potato if you don’ eat Paleo)
- 8 Carrots (peeled, cut into large chunks)
- 1 Large Yellow Onion (cut into large chunks)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Peppercorns
- 2 tsp Coarse Real Salt *
- 4 Cups Beef Stock
- 1 Tbl Fresh Thyme (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Tapioca Flour (use corn starch if you don’t eat Paleo)
- 2 Tbl Water
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the beef chunks and brown on all sides, about 3-4 minutes. Add beef to a slow cooker. Top beef with the parsnips, carrots, onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, salt, thyme, and beef stock.
- Cook on high for 6 hours (8-9 on low), or until beef is very tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tapioca starch and water. Pour into the stew and gently mix with a large spoon, until the mixture is distributed through the broth. Let cook for 30 more minutes, until the broth thickens a bit. Check seasonings and add more salt, if necessary.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.
* The amount of salt for this recipe was based off using homemade beef stock with no added salt. If you use a commercially prepared beef stock or bone broth with salt in it, decrease the salt you add by the amount that’s in the stock.