This recipe is great because it can be tossed in the slow cooker and cook all day while you do your tasks and then have a fantastic meal at the end of the day. You can cook it on high for 6 hours or on low 8-9. These two options provide some flexibility in your preparing dinner.
I love how good this tastes and it is so simple to make. It has your meat and vegetables in there already so you don’t need a ton of food to go with it on the side.
- 2 T. Olive oil
- 1½ lb. Stew Meat(beef, cubed)
- 2 large Parsnips, peeled and cut into a large dice (use favorite potato if you don't eat Paleo)
- 8 Carrots, peeled, cut into large chunks
- 1 large Onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 Bay Leaves
- ½ t. Peppercorns
- 2 t. Coarse Real Salt
- 4 C. Beef Stock
- 1 T. Fresh Thyme, roughly chopped
- ¼ C. Tapioca Starch (use corn starch if you don't eat Paleo)
- 2 T. Water
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the beef chunks and brown on all sides, about 3-4 minutes. Add beef to a slow cooker. Top beef with the parsnips, carrots, onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, salt, thyme, and beef stock.
- Cook on high for 6 hours(8-9 on low), or until beef is very tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tapioca starch and water. Pour into the stew and gently mix with a large spoon, until the mixture is distributed through the broth. Let cook for 30 more minutes, until the broth thickens a bit. Check seasonings and add more salt, if necessary.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.