This Keto cauliflower casserole recipe is creamy and silky from the ricotta and Parmesan cheese and full of flavor from the onions, garlic, mushrooms, and fresh thyme.
If you follow my blog, you already know how much I love putting my own little twist on recipes, so for this one, I have used cauliflower rice mixed with onions, garlic, ricotta cheese, and Parmesan to make a casserole of sorts.
It was hard to know what to call this recipe since it’s not like a traditional casserole and looks more like a cake or a pie – but it definitely doesn’t taste like a cake or a pie. I settled on casserole because that’s the closest thing I could think of and you would bake it and eat it as a side dish, similar to a casserole. This actually could be quite good for a brunch too.
At first, I thought the cauliflower rice would be too sticky or moist compared to rice risotto, I was happily proven wrong. I actually got a tender but firm texture just like any great risotto rice should have.
I would love you to try this recipe and let me know if you like it as much as I did. I absolutely love it and I’m sure it is going to become a regular on my weekly recipe plan!
You may also like these:Print
Mushroom Risotto Keto Cauliflower Casserole Recipe
This Keto cauliflower casserole recipe is creamy and silky from the ricotta and Parmesan cheese and full of flavor from the onions, garlic, mushrooms and fresh thyme.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Rounded cup (350 g) of cauliflower rice
- 1 cup of hot vegetable broth
- 3 cups (200 g) of enoki mushrooms or your favorite mushrooms
- Butter to grease the pan
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme , roughly chopped
- 1 cup (100g) of Parmesan cheese (or dairy-free alternative), grated
- Scant 2/3 cup (150g) ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten with a fork
- Thyme , fresh sprigs to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease a 7 inch (18 cm) round cake pan.
PREPARE THE CAULIFLOWER RICE
- Cut the head of cauliflower into quarters, then trim out the inner core from each quarter. Break apart the cauliflower into large florets with your hands. If the core is tender, you can break it into pieces and add it with the florets.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor. Don’t fill the food processor more than 3/4 full; if necessary, process it in two batches.
- Process the cauliflower in 1-second pulses until it has completely broken down into rice-sized granules.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil and fry the onions and garlic gently until well softened.
- Stir in the cauliflower rice, then pour in 1 cup of vegetable stock. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes, until the cauliflower rice is tender but still crunchy. Set aside.
- In a small pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil, sauté the mushrooms and the chopped thyme leaves until golden and tender.
- Scrape the cooled cauliflower rice into a large bowl with most of the mushrooms, leaving a few to top the cake later.
- Add all the parmesan, ricotta and beaten eggs. Season with plenty of salt and black pepper and mix well.
- Tip the cauliflower rice mix into the cake pan and press out firmly to smooth the top.
- Arrange the remaining mushrooms on top and scatter over the fresh thyme sprigs, drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Cool for 20 minutes and enjoy!
Keywords: Cauliflower, Casserole, Keto, Dinner, Mushrooms